USB 3.0 16GB $24 8GB $13 for your shiny new P67 3.0 USB Mobo

I don't think the USB 3.0 market has matured enough yet, to be able to buy a USB 3.0 device. Maybe by the END of the year we should be a seeing a lot more USB 3.0 devices like Flash Drives (that deliver the advertised speedS) , Webcams, SSD's and other components...

Last edited by a moderator:
These drives seems to be pretty decent, only thing holding me back is that my USB 3.0 ports are in the rear and not the front.

Though, I wish I could find a decent USB 3.0 2.5" enclosure. I've tried a few and had to return them because they were utter crap. And the reviews on the other ones out there are the same. I think the market needs to mature there.

Good prices for the GB though I don't see how the USB 3.0 makes a difference especially considering the write speed.

I have 2 of these and they are well worth the $ if you have a USB 3.0 MB or card. In real world usage the difference between these and USB 2.0 drives is very noticable. I installed a Silverstone panel with USB 3.0 ports on the front of my system.

got the 16gb one. my sis was like holy hell thats fast. she ordered one :D

In for one of the 16 gb ones. I've needed a beefy speedy flash drive for a while.

Mine arrived today and appears to be very fast. I have not benched it yet, though. I will attest the cap being a joke though. It is just short of falling off brand new out of the package.

For that price, it should at the very least be a quick and cheap USB2 drive. I'm in.

Heh.

ASSEMBLY! - I wish to have my order assembled for $35.00 PROMO PRICE!!!
# Your order will be sent to our experienced technicians for assembly. All items being assembled will be thoroughly tested and shipped within 3 business days. This is not an extended warranty service. All items remain subject to their individual return policies and product warranties.

I will attest the cap being a joke though. It is just short of falling off brand new out of the package.

Huh, I bought one a month ago, and my thoughts on the cap are a complete 180; mine's too tight.

finally something I can plug into the front usb 3.0 port on my Azza case

Mine came in the mail. Nice little drive, cap is loose as others said. However, it is only registering as having 14.6 gb of usable space... That seems to be a lot of dead drive space...

Mine came in the mail. Nice little drive, cap is loose as others said. However, it is only registering as having 14.6 gb of usable space... That seems to be a lot of dead drive space...

16gb advertised does not equal 16gb formatted.

It appears as if Super Talent has changed these drives. The first one I bought about a month ago had a formatted capacity of 14.9 GB. The one I just bought is 14.6GB like yours.

The 14.9GB drive is also faster then the 14.6GB drive. The new drives are smaller and not as fast. They are still faster then USB 2.0 drives but not as fast as previously.

I posted a question on the Super Talent Forum about this but have not got an answer yet.

The cheapest 16GB USB 3.0 drive on newegg was a lot more, so I bit, figuring this has got to be better than a USB 2.0 drive on USB 3.0 machines, with the one [H]User benchmark posted in this thread. Sound like USB 2.0 write perf isn't great, but I'm OK with that, since my machines are USB 3.0. We'll see when it gets in.

It appears as if Super Talent has changed these drives. The first one I bought about a month ago had a formatted capacity of 14.9 GB. The one I just bought is 14.6GB like yours.

The 14.9GB drive is also faster then the 14.6GB drive. The new drives are smaller and not as fast. They are still faster then USB 2.0 drives but not as fast as previously.

I posted a question on the Super Talent Forum about this but have not got an answer yet.

Do you have an old and new to directly compare? What performance are you getting with each?

Do you have an old and new to directly compare? What performance are you getting with each?

Yes, the old is about 67 MB/s and the newer is 54 MB/s on read. Write is actually faster on the new at 29 MB/s compared to 26 MB/s on the old. Still much faster then any USB 2.0 flash drive that I have, but still a let down that they have changed something and not for the better. I also have a 32 GB Express Duo that I just received that has similar performance to the newer driver.

The size is also different on the drives as I previously mentioned, the old is 14.9 GB an the the 14.6 GB. These are formatted capacities. The 32 GB has a formatted capacity of 29.2 GB which is in line with the other new drive I have.

I bought the older about a month ago and the new one last week.

Yes, the old is about 67 MB/s and the newer is 54 MB/s on read. Write is actually faster on the new at 29 MB/s compared to 26 MB/s on the old. Still much faster then any USB 2.0 flash drive that I have, but still a let down that they have changed something and not for the better. I also have a 32 GB Express Duo that I just received that has similar performance to the newer driver.

The size is also different on the drives as I previously mentioned, the old is 14.9 GB an the the 14.6 GB. These are formatted capacities. The 32 GB has a formatted capacity of 29.2 GB which is in line with the other new drive I have.

I bought the older about a month ago and the new one last week.

I almost wonder if they changed the wear-leveling algorithm, rather than say-- where they source their flash chips from.

yes you can install windows from it just like the vast majority of other flash drives. i have 3 of these running my win7 install, persistent linux mint live environment, and have tested multiple boot options on them. win7 PE also works fine from them.

You run off of the USB key? Also, should I opt for the 16gb over the 8gb if I plan on storing win 7 on there along w/ files?

you can INSTALL FROM the USB key for Win7, you can RUN Win7 PE from the USB key but you cannot install the normal full version of Win7 on it. It would also be incredibly slow to run the full Win7 install on it anyways so I would not do this.

For either the INSTALL or WinPE 8GB is fine but the 16GB one seems to be slightly faster and the cost difference is negligible.

If you are looking for a "rescue" boot option running an OS from the USB key so you can access your RAID arrays, files on non-bootable C: drive, have access to the internet and other home networked computers, etc. Win7 PE is the easiest for someone without Linux experience and you can just pre-load the AMD/Intel/Marvell storage drivers into the PE environment and have a safe backup boot option.

The newest distros of Ubuntu/Mint and Debian all detect my storage controllers, network devices, RAID arrays, etc fine as well.

If you are looking for a "rescue" boot option running an OS from the USB key so you can access your RAID arrays, files on non-bootable C: drive, have access to the internet and other home networked computers, etc. Win7 PE is the easiest for someone without Linux experience and you can just pre-load the AMD/Intel/Marvell storage drivers into the PE environment and have a safe backup boot option.

The newest distros of Ubuntu/Mint and Debian all detect my storage controllers, network devices, RAID arrays, etc fine as well.

Looking to use it to install OS'. Running Win7 PE w/ preloaded drivers seems like more work than I'm ready to tackle right now. Maybe Ill go w/ Ubuntu. That's just the generic download from their website?

Also-your on OCN right??

If I ever win the lotto, I'm ordering "assembly" on every order from Superbiiz just to have them go "WTF" when I do it for a PenDrive or SATA cables. Either that, or order a bunch of random things like PenDrive, a Garmin Navigation, a copy of MS Office, a Heatsink, and select "assembly" and when they don't come assembled together, I'll call and complain....

In for one, thanks for the heads up....BTW I love Superbiiz,my #2 online computer shop (after NewEgg of course.

I'm not on OCN.

WinPE is a more familiar environment once you get it to work but it does take quite a bit more work. You can even change video drivers "on the fly" since in Win7 it doesn't force reboots so you get full GPU functionality, storage, and networking almost as if you are running your real computer.

If you go the Linux route it's much easier since the distros are updated so frequently to include popular hardware. I would personally go with Linux Mint Live DVD option - it is based on the newest Ubuntu but adds all the popular apps so you don't need to mod anything.

Use http://www.linuxliveusb.com/ to create a persistent live USB through the GUI - couldn't be easier. You can't play a portable game at 1080P with your high end video cards this way but you can do basically anything else :)

These drives seems to be pretty decent, only thing holding me back is that my USB 3.0 ports are in the rear and not the front.

1) http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030309&p_id=6506&seq=1&format=2

2 ) Even when used in a USB 2.0 port there is a speed advantage with these. I compared the fastest USB drive I have, a 16GB OCZ Diesel (red light version) with the 16GB Super Talent plugged into the same USB 2.0 port. I don't have a "shiny new P67 3.0 USB motherboard" but these work on my X58 USB 3.0 motherboard too. The third picture is the Super Talent in my motherboards USB 3.0 port. As you can see the write speed is more than twice as fast even in a USB 2.0 port.

OCZ Diesel USB 2.0
oczusb2.png

Super Talent USB 2.0
supertalentusb2.png

Super Talent USB 3.0
supertalentusb3.png

I got one of these last week. Super-fast compared to my old 4GB USB 2.0 stick. plus over 10GB more pr0n that can be viewed :) for $24 it's a good deal.

Back