• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

USB 2.0 -> Firewire

MasiveMunkey

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 12, 2003
Messages
263
Is it possible to convert USB to FireWire or vice versa?

I only have 1 free pci slot, but i need both types. I really do not want to buy a combo card because i already have a usb 2.0 card and a firewire card that I can use. The reason I have both is that I got a usb 2.0 card because I needed more usb slots for my compact flash drive and other things, but then for christmas I got a camcorder that doesn't use usb 2.0 so I bought a firewire card. Anyway, I really think I need the extra 2.0 ports again....:(
 
There are some little PCI slot covers that have both on them. Those usually come with your mainboard. If you don't have one of those, I don't know what to tell you. I'm not terribly familiar with peripherals as I don't have that many of them.
 
Absolutely NOT. This is impossible. 100% impossible. The two standards are completely different. The controllers are different. It is never going to happen. A combo card is the best solution.
 
Originally posted by jamestime88
you can buy a USB hub. it will split one usb into several.

LOL, yes, that's the perfect option. I can't believe I overlooked the most obvious option.
 
Well my motherboard only has usb 1.1 that's why I didn't want to get a hub. I need 2.0 for a mp3 player I'm thinking about buying. Maybe I'll just sell both of my cards and get a combo one.
 
If you must have USB 2.0, then a combo card (With both USB 2.0 and firewire) is the only option you have, unless you can scrap a different PCI card to free up a slot.
 
YOu could upgrade your soundcard to a Audigy and get a firewire port. Or just get a hub. I think a combo card is still the best answer.
 
Originally posted by MasiveMunkey
Well my motherboard only has usb 1.1 that's why I didn't want to get a hub. I need 2.0 for a mp3 player I'm thinking about buying. Maybe I'll just sell both of my cards and get a combo one.

IF you only have one free slot and don't have any USB 2.0 or firewire cards plugged in to any of the others (which is what I think you're saying), get a combo card and hook a USB 2.0 hub (yes it can make a difference) up to one of the USB 2.0 ports on the card you get.
 
Originally posted by Mad_Pyro
Absolutely NOT. This is impossible. 100% impossible. The two standards are completely different. The controllers are different. It is never going to happen. A combo card is the best solution.

then why can i get a firewire -> usb adapter for my ipod? :confused:
 
Because he is talking about converting the actual controller from USB to Firewire or vice versa.

What you have is simply a device that can be connected via USB or Firewire, meaning that it was designed to use either one of the two interfaces, much like my Maxtor One-Touch. Big difference between the two concepts.
 
Back
Top