USB 1/2/ compatible with later versions?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by KaisoArt, Aug 4, 2019.

1. KaisoArt

KaisoArt n00b

I just bought an MSI Stealth GS75. I set it up on my Old Logitech Alto stand (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...h_939_000089_Alto_Connect_Notebook_Stand.html) However, when I plugin the the stand's USB connection I get the unrecognized error from Windows. The stand works fine with my 2010 Sager laptop running Win10. The only thing I can think is the new machine does not recognize USB from 2007. The X stand is powered and working. Hooking it up to the old machine an it again works. I love this stand. Thoughts?

2. DrLobotomy

DrLobotomy [H]ardness Supreme

Check USB compatibility mode in the BIOS.

3. Absalom

Absalom Gawd

Try a different cable. It's possible the cable's connector is doing something funny with the laptop's electrical contacts.

USB 3 is backwards compatible with previous versions, but instead of forcing everyone to new connectors they reused the existing ones (Type-A) and simply added more electrical contacts for the high speed lines. If this is the original cable that came with the stand, it's possible the cable was designed in a way that interferes with the additional contacts.

4. KaisoArt

KaisoArt n00b

The cable is hardwired to the stand, so if that is the problem, I'm SOL.

5. GotNoRice

GotNoRice [H]ardForum Junkie

All versions of USB should be compatible as long as the connector fits.

Maybe try using a USB extension cable or a USB hub between the stand and your new computer. Whatever quirky connector issue might be going on might not occur while plugged into the hub or extension cable.