• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

USA PSU in AUS

Alfie_dono

n00b
Joined
Mar 8, 2011
Messages
23
I'm thinking about getting a corsair PSU shipped from the States to America. I know the power cable not compatible - but I've got plenty of local PSU power cords for the local power point. What I'm wondering is if PSUs are generally made to work with different voltages that come in from the wall - I think we run at 240 volts or something?

Thanks.
 
I believe most, if not all, modern PSU's are auto switching between 120 volts AC and 240 volts AC. I also think they can run on either 50Hz or 60Hz.

You should be fine but I would wait till someone else chimes in to confirm.
 
Any active PFC power supply can take voltages from 100v to 240v. It will automatically switch between 120v mode and 240v mode.
 
Any active PFC power supply can take voltages from 100v to 240v.
Wrong. Some PSUs with APFC cannot handle the extra current draw from the wall needed to provide a PSU running at 120V with the same amount of power as it would draw while running at 240V. The Antec VP450 is an example of this. Full-range PSUs will always be specified as such on the label and this should be confirmed before assuming a PSU is capable of it.
 
Wrong. Some PSUs with APFC cannot handle the extra current draw from the wall needed to provide a PSU running at 120V with the same amount of power as it would draw while running at 240V. The Antec VP450 is an example of this. Full-range PSUs will always be specified as such on the label and this should be confirmed before assuming a PSU is capable of it.

Ah, okay. Based on what I read they were all capable of it, but guess not. I would think that the full range PSU's make up most of the active PFC market though.
 
as long as it is 100v to 240v, all you need to do is change the power cable and you are good to go..
 
Look for a reviewed unit from several of the sites that test at both voltages. I know Anandtech did this. Most good PSUs with APFC shouldn't be a problem; I'd be surprised if you did have a problem.
 
Look for a reviewed unit from several of the sites that test at both voltages. I know Anandtech did this. Most good PSUs with APFC shouldn't be a problem; I'd be surprised if you did have a problem.
There's no need to check. Any PSU with APFC that works with 120V will work with 240V, and any full-range PSU will say as much on the label. The only potential issue is that some 240V PSUs with APFC are not designed to be used with 120V due to the higher input current. However, the reverse is not a problem.
 
Back
Top