USA never gets the good stuff :(

even if we did get that in the USA, it would be tied to a single phone carrier which means it sucks.

Nah, lots of phones can be bought unlocked. Amazon carries HTCs, Nokias, Samsungs, etc... Even if they did do the lame thing like applie and tie it to one carrier you could still unlock it or at the worst flash it to a cooked rom.

The only problem is that anything good that has 3G usually doesn't carry the North American 3G band. Makes it a pain to buy Sony Ericsson phones sometimes >_>

The only problem is that anything good that has 3G usually doesn't carry the North American 3G band. Makes it a pain to buy Sony Ericsson phones sometimes >_>

I thought AT&Ts band corresponded with many other carriers overseas. T-Mobiles does not.

I remember six years ago one of my Korean friends showed me his phone, which the screen was able to slide, twist, play TV, able to surf the internet, pay bills, etc... Then it was only like two years ago that we started getting those abilities on our phones. And those phones were not even state of the art at that time.. :( American companies just hord there profits and never better their services, that is wrong with the american corporation..

Most of the awesome phones we get are made by asia, theyre the one hoarding everything.

I felt the same way about the Touch HD.....i wanted that phone so bad!!!

Most of the awesome phones we get are made by asia, theyre the one hoarding everything.

I felt the same way about the Touch HD.....i wanted that phone so bad!!!

dont bring back the memories :(

and to the OP, i agree, we never get any good phones :mad: but thanx for introducing me to that phone, im add that to my following list :)

I thought AT&Ts band corresponded with many other carriers overseas. T-Mobiles does not.

and can anyone else confirm this true?

att likes to use the 850 band. a lot of overseas phones dont have it. csnt remember what 3g band they use but a lot of the ones that even support the
old 850 band dont support it.

I bought the phone im using now from china, it just happenec to have quad band support. Coulda had the faster model with gps if i didnt have to have 850 support.

excuse typos, im on my phone.

3G band usage worldwide:

2100 - in Europe, Africa, Asia, Oceania (ITU Region 1) and Brazil (part of ITU Region 2)
1900 - in North America and South America (ITU Region 2)
1700 - in the United States (T-Mobile USA)
900 - in Europe, Asia, Oceania (ITU Region 1 and ITU Region 3), Australia
850 - in Australia, Brazil, Canada, the USA, other parts of South America, parts of Asia (ITU Region 2 and ITU Region 3)

Basically, "North American" phones are gonna have 850 and 1900. "European" phones are gonna have 900 and 2100. It's not technically accurate, but, in general, that's how they're marketed. Some newer phones are coming out with 3 bands (900/1900/2100 or 850/1900/2100). There is even one quad band phone, the HTC Fuze.

The TG01 will use the 2100 band exclusively, not even deigning to use the 900 band most other phones throw in.

dont bring back the memories :(

and to the OP, i agree, we never get any good phones :mad: but thanx for introducing me to that phone, im add that to my following list :)

Im so tempted to buy the touch hd tho, itd be the sickest phone ever...id even use edge if i had to, its not THAT bad...:(

The US of A is indeed a very backwards country for cell phone usage. Then also, the people who live here are themselves pretty backwards. The adoption rate of new technology for Asiatic countries esp Japan, Korea, China and Hong Kong are all very rapid while here. I suppose it's got a lot to do with all the bureaucratic bullshit that dominates this great nation, and copyright this copyright that, sue me sue them, litigate that litigate this.

Smaller countries are more agile and able to adapt rapidly to change. The U.S. is third or fourth largest country by land area, third largest population, and largest economy. China is the only other country at or near the top of these lists. I'll take the U.S. over China any day.

3G band usage worldwide:

2100 - in Europe, Africa, Asia, Oceania (ITU Region 1) and Brazil (part of ITU Region 2)
1900 - in North America and South America (ITU Region 2)
1700 - in the United States (T-Mobile USA)
900 - in Europe, Asia, Oceania (ITU Region 1 and ITU Region 3), Australia
850 - in Australia, Brazil, Canada, the USA, other parts of South America, parts of Asia (ITU Region 2 and ITU Region 3)

Basically, "North American" phones are gonna have 850 and 1900. "European" phones are gonna have 900 and 2100. It's not technically accurate, but, in general, that's how they're marketed. Some newer phones are coming out with 3 bands (900/1900/2100 or 850/1900/2100). There is even one quad band phone, the HTC Fuze.

The TG01 will use the 2100 band exclusively, not even deigning to use the 900 band most other phones throw in.

Quadband is quite popular on the chinese knockoff phones (mine has it), they just rarely support any 3G at all :(
EDGE isn't bad for web browsing if you use Opera Mini, but it pretty much sucks for anything else or any other browsers.

Quadband is quite popular on the chinese knockoff phones (mine has it), they just rarely support any 3G at all :(

The frequency bands you quoted from me are all 3G. Most phones now are quadband GSM (2G) like your phone. For example, the HTC Fuze is quadband GSM (like yours) AND quadband 3G (unique as far as I know).

So, according to the phone finder on gsmarena.com, there are 53 phones with triband 3G (850/1900/2100), and 49 of them are also quadband GSM.

YES it is. EDGE really is THAT BAD... Take it from me, HSDPA is a GOD SEND for full fledged browsing...

Yea for full featured browsers like opera 9.5, skyfire, and iris, but for opera mini, its not too shabby, but yes i understand where ur coming from, i just wish there was a standardized 3g gsm spectrum for the entire world!

We don't get the cool stuff because the majority of americans are idiots who want idiot gadgets like the iPhone. Something with cool specs and a lot of power won't sell here, because 80% of americans won't be able to figure it out.

Move to Canada or Japan.

Yeah, the USA is behind even Russia in terms of phones.

Over there, we buy phones and SIM cards separately, and pay for minutes. No contracts or other bullshit. Every carrier has an incoming-calls-free plan - try finding that here at all. Texting is so cheap it's practically free. Minutes are very cheap as well.

Selection is better too - if they have it anywhere else in the world, you'll find it there. Not cheap, though, and counterfeiting is a slight problem.

You cant exactly say that americans are behind, the reason we dont get all the sweet powerful phones in japan is because most of us have a home pc, a laptop, a tv, ect. Alot of japanese people have a mobile phone as THEIR only device. People are writing novels for godsakes on their T9 phones in japan. They do everything on their phone, while we just use em to call people, txt, do some web surfing, ect. Maybe 5% of americans actually use their phone and expect tons from it. But thats a small percentage compared to the rest of americans. Thats why the iPhone suits alot of americans, it does everything they need and then some.

Back