• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

US HD4890 Availability (B&M Division)

PGHammer

2[H]4U
Joined
Oct 8, 2002
Messages
3,315
While Newegg has no less than *eleven* different HD4890 models (with six at the identical $249.95 price), I'm wondering more about retail/B&M availability. (MicroCenter came up dry in that department; and that's where I usually buy.) However, I now know why the 4850 and 4870 have seen their prices drop in the past month.

I'm seriously looking at the HD4890 (as the only upgrade from my current wimpee-shrimpee HD3450) for several reasons:

1. I only need one! Unlike either the HD4850 or HD4870, it doesn't call for CrossFire; it's why I actually think this will be the first high-end GPU from AMD that won't be sold by any AIB in an x2 configuration.

2. 1 GB *and* lifetime warranty from the jump! Both Visiontek *and* XFX are offering HD4890 GPUs at the bottom of the price scale (one from each is among Newegg's Scary Six-Pack) with lifetime warranties. Performance is too high, the warranty is too long, and the price is too low, for me to seriously consider any other GPU, from anyone (that includes *all* of AMD's x2-based configurations).

3. Bang for the buck. Remember; I did say that no less than six are available from the Egg at $250USD (a shocker at launch).
 
I was hoping to try one at Best Buy, but there was no luck there. Do you have any Frys around you? I heard there has been sightings there.
 
Well I want to see this card in crossfire, seeing as all the new x58 boards do crossfire and most do sli with bios upgrades.
 
Dunno about retail/B&M availability, but I'm sure most people would prefer XFX over Visiontek. Hope you get your upgrade soon.
 
I want one, but the prices are going to drop with in the coming weeks. Once the GTX 275 becomes more prevalent, I bet we will be able to get a 4890 for around 220 shipped.
 
Back
Top