urr is it normal not to get 54mbps?

joethemole

Gawd
i have a netgear wireless router and adapter, but i'm constantly getting 36/48 mbps, but not 54. is this normal?

You're doing very well if you can get 48Mbps.

(1) Protocols have overhead. You never get full in any setup.
(2) Wireless is subject to lots of interference, particularly in the 2.4GHz band.
(3) Wireless is half-duplex.

Half of stated wireless speeds is pretty good throughput.

I actually do get 54 most of the time from our all-motorola setup. :) Funny thing is sometimes it calls the signal strength "excellent" and other times only "very good" even though it's listed as the same speed? I don't get it.

Lethal said:
I actually do get 54 most of the time from our all-motorola setup. :) Funny thing is sometimes it calls the signal strength "excellent" and other times only "very good" even though it's listed as the same speed? I don't get it.

Signal strength and connection speed are different things. While there usually is a linear correlation (higher signal, higher speed), there is still some overlap between the two.

good points all through this thread.

to elaborate more, keep in mind that any of the following devices can also be sharing the same frequency range as your wifi stuff:
- cordless 2.4 GHz phones
- microwaves (honestly, lots of helpdesk calls in big companies about wireless signals dropping happens around lunchtime when people are near microwaves)
- other access points (usually only applies if you live in an apartment complex, or have really close neighbors)

large obstacles and some housing construction (usually just the really old buildings) can also restrict the signal. check out a free program called "netstumbler" to find out who else is using an access point near you.

final note: 48 mbps is nothing to complain about if the line-of-sight to your access point goes through several walls or large pieces of furniture.

wow last night i was getting that, now i'm getting all 54mbps with "very good" signal strength

Lethal said:

wow thats the exact thing thats happening to me right now. I sometimes get 54 with excellent, but most times 54 with very good

Maybe try a high gain antenna. I hear they are good, but have yet to try one.

Back