Urgently need some good Hard Drive Diagnostic/Repair program .

ahmadka

Limp Gawd
Hi everyone ... One of my computers recently started experiencing a few problems altogether .. now I have a hunch that there might be something wrong with the hard drive in this computer ..

So basically I am looking for some very professional kind of software which does some good Hard Drive diagnostic and repair work ... Something which scans hard drives inside out for possible problems .. Something like memtest, but for Hard drives .. Some software recognised a professional hard drive doctor :p ... Dont care if its free or commercial, as long as its good :D

Know any such software ?

Manufacturers like Seagate, WD, Fujitsu, Toshiba, Samsung, etc, make diagnostic software for their own drives, that's your first course of action. Get that for the drive(s) in question, run the Quick/Short/Normal test, and regardless of the results go back and run the Long/Advanced/Thorough test immediately afterwards with the full surface scan enabled. It'll take a long time but that is the one best recommended way to determine if a drive is either defective or potentially about to fail.

As far as "repair" software the only recommendation I'd make it the same one I've been making for over 15 years now:

SpinRite, by GRC.com

The only repairs you can do from a software perspective are refreshing bad sectors to hopefully make them functional again, but once a sector is "bad" it never will be the same again, period. If a hard drive is defective from a mechanical or electronic perspective, forget it, toss it in the garbage or RMA it if it's still under warranty.

Hope this helps...

Back