Urgent: WinXP acting VERY strange after format

Saeid

Limp Gawd
Ok i just formated my PC, as installing the latest drivers....
Installed a driver called "ST Micro" on my motherboards drivers page, along with Office 2003, and the Software for my Logitech Quicktime Notebook Pro 1.3MP webcam... and then i restarted....

after that, my computer wouldnt even boot..... it was very strange and frightening. It didnt even go past the BIOS. The fan's were all running at full speed, and the hard drive LED was just on, with nothing on the screen.

I tried pressing keys, restarting, turning off.... and nothing... no difference... i was really freaking out.... i opened up the case, moved the jumper for the BIOS to recovery, and no difference.... i was starting to seriously worry.... then i switched off the pc as well as the PSU....

let it be for about 15/20 minutes... tried once more... and thankfully it boot up. So i straight away uninstalled that"ST Micro" program.

But again, my PC has issues....
1) I after i installed Kaspersky Personal Security Suite and Logitech Software, and i tried to access a program or something.... my PC would suddenly restart. This has happened on more than one occasion. So i uninstalled the Logitech software completely... restarted and as soon as booting windows had completed, it would crash again, over and over..... so i went into safe mode and uninstalled Kaspersky.

2) My microphone doesnt work neither front or back.

What could be causing these problems? I mean the registry, config files are all clean and fresh.... and these software are well known, could they be conflicting with each other?

Thanks.

It's likely the software you're installing has little/nothing to do with it.

CPU could be overheating, hard drive could be failing/corrupting, any number of things.
If your computer could not boot past the BIOS splash screen, that absolutely does not indicate a software problem.

If you left it off for a period of time, and it started working again, that might point to a heat issue. Pull off the side of the case while the system is running, hold on to an unpainted part of the case with one hand (for ESD protection), and probe around with your other hand, touching the cpu heatsink, the hard drive, the power supply case, the ram heatspreaders. Does anything feel very hot?

EXACTLY at what point does the system boot up to, and then stop?

Do you have another hard drive to test with?

Sounds like classic Power Supply issue. That's the first thing I would replace to help weed the problem out. Could be something else but try a different PSU first.

Back