[Urgent!] Some assistance needed (Files deleted!)

Maximos

2[H]4U
Hi guys.

Stupid me - instead of hitting Copy, then Paste, I did a Cut.

I saved all of my documents, programs, emails, everything into a single folder called 'Transfer' before I switched to Windows Vista today. I then sent this folder to my XP Pro SP2 desktop. Cool, I installed Vista x64. I then try to send the 3.88GB folder back to the desktop - no go. However, I was able to send it to my laptop. Great, but I canceled the transfer half way through and deleted the folder on the laptop (the half-done one). So now, I only have half my stuff, and its the easy to obtain stuff...my Word docs, my Outlook PST file, my website designs, and my pics are all gone!

Are there any free programs that would enable me to recover this stuff? If not, this is a disaster!

Hi guys.

Stupid me - instead of hitting Copy, then Paste, I did a Cut.

I saved all of my documents, programs, emails, everything into a single folder called 'Transfer' before I switched to Windows Vista today. I then sent this folder to my XP Pro SP2 desktop. Cool, I installed Vista x64. I then try to send the 3.88GB folder back to the desktop - no go. However, I was able to send it to my laptop. Great, but I canceled the transfer half way through and deleted the folder on the laptop (the half-done one). So now, I only have half my stuff, and its the easy to obtain stuff...my Word docs, my Outlook PST file, my website designs, and my pics are all gone!

Are there any free programs that would enable me to recover this stuff? If not, this is a disaster!

oh boy, u lost half your pr0... errgg... your "data" ;)

u can try using Recuva, GetDataBack or R-Studio

Hehe, honestly, that stuff was all 100% clean ;)

I had icons of Saints in there!

Thanks for the info.

I am running a System Restore on the desktop first to see if that will help.

I'll be watching this one, never had to do this myself.

So If i understand correctly, you have 3 machines:
1) Whatever you were installing Vista to
2) XP Desktop
3) XP Laptop

Correct?

You had the files backed up to 2.
This next step is what confuses me, as they are already on the desktop, why did you try to send it back to the desktop???
You then cut the files from 2 to 3, and cancelled in the middle. So only half show up on 3, and they are all gone on 2.

So if I understand right, you were not installing Vista overtop 2... So the machine you cut the files on is fine and dandy (hasn't been reinstalled)???
If that's the case, Recuva would be my first try.

EDIT-
I am running a System Restore on the desktop first to see if that will help.
Another thing I'd be interested to see ;)
I know when rolling back it doesn't touch your new documents.... Wonder if it restores old ones back... Guess we shall find out.

1. Desktop in sig running Vista
2. XP Desktop
3. Laptop in sig, running Vista

Files were backed up to 2, I could not access 1 to 2 directly, so I used 3 as a temporary storage device.

Half way, canceled. Machine 2 has 3 GB of my original 4GB on it. My laptop has nothing, because I deleted the 'Transfer' folder on it remotely while I was at Machine 2.

Of course, System Restore did absolutely nothing.

Would I run Recuva on the laptop?

Machine 2.

The one I wiped, thankfully, was not involved.

The thing is, will Recuva 'obtain' the lost files over the network?

edit: Installed on my laptop, running a 'Deep Scan'. Let's see what happens...

Machine 2.

The one I wiped, thankfully, was not involved.

The thing is, will Recuva 'obtain' the lost files over the network?

Why can't you go install it on the Desktop directly? The main thing is getting the back- you can burn to a CD or something if you have to after that...

And no, I don't think it'll get it over the network (could be wrong but I doubt it)

My thought is that since the files were deleted off of the laptop, I should run the program on there?

edit: It was useless :(

Back