URGENT PLEASE HELP IMMEDIATLY!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined
Jan 12, 2008
Messages
14
Hi guys, this is my first post and I haven't got alot of time. My computer was acting up after using vista for a while so I decided to reformat and start everything over just in time for school. I have an acer c310 convertible tablet pc with 100 GB hard drive. I went to use the acer recovery cd's to restore everything to stock and back to xp pro. Sounded great till I started using the cd's and upon getting to the second cd in the 3 cd backup set I was told that there was an error and tha the image file on the cd could not be found or was corrupted or something. I tried repeatedly but same old same old and of course vista was corrupted after this because once the first cd was put in it started erasing everything. Don't worry, I backed everything up. So, on with the story. Realizing that I was in a slightly sticky situation I contacted acer and after tons of searching ultimately came up with nothing. I then realized I could cd boot linux and went and burned a copy to use on my pc as an emergency measure. I had never messed with it before but always wanted to and now had an excuse. I decided to install it completely, told the partitioner to use the entire hd on install and for a time I was happy till I realized that linux wasn't ready for prime time just yet. It's ubuntu 7.10 by the way. So, I then decided my best bet would be to have a dual boot pc with both vista and linux. I installed vista, then started following the onling instructions to install linux dual boot style. I screwed up in the vista partioning though and deleted the extra 2 GB partition that linux had created and then, if you can follow this, i deleted it again. This meant that I could no longer see it at all. I decided to start over by reinstalling windows and when I put in the disc and booted up to install it said that my hard drive was 97.3 GB. I was cool with it but confused and i deleted everything from there so i could reinstall windows. long story short is that at some point after doing all that several times over, windows started only seeing my HD as only 93.2 GB! I was worried and confused so I did something that worked earlier to get windows to see the HD as all it could be again, which was to reistall ubuntu AGAIN and tell it to use the entire 100 GB drive. For some reason though, when going back to reinstall windows AFTER reistalling ubuntu AGAIN windows will now only see my HD as 93.2 GB!!!!!!!! I know it's a 100GB drive! I know it is normal to not see all of the space advertised on a drive, but it is not normal to format a drive and have the thing get smaller FOREVER after you delete some partitions and stuff! I'm running vista now but I still only have 93.2 GB and I'm worried! School starts monday and I've been working on this ALL WEEK! PLEASE HELP ME!!!! What did I do and how the frick can I undo it! I will give system info now.

HD: ST9100822A ATA device. Driver provider says Microsoft.
I'm no pc noob but when it comes to hard drives I wish I was living in the future where SSD's are ubiquitous, cheap, and hard drives are obsolete cause at least I understand SSD's more than hard drives. Please, if you can help me, do so IMMEDIATLY. THANK YOU ALL. SPACE
 
I guess I'm not exactly sure what the problem is, because you haven't exactly clearly laid it out. First off, seeing 93.2 GB of a 100 Gb sound perfectly normal, and I really hope this doesn't turn into another flamefest where people start posting in on how you should have known that. 93.2 GB sounds like what you should expect your partition size to be.

Now, if this isn't the problem, and something else is, I missed it. It sounds like you have the ability to install Vista and get that working on the full 93.2 GB, so you should be good to go.

In the future, you shouldn't be putting all caps in the title. That's probably in the rules, but just keep that in mind for the future.
 
First of all, don't SHOUT in thread titles. Try to make them relevant to the issue at hand. Use paragraphs to make your post easier to read. Through a sea of text, I couldn't figure out what your problem was about, either.

Go read this, then reformulate your post.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top