Urgent help needed with my HIS 4870X2 and Vista

poconopc

Gawd
Ok , I have a fresh install of vista as of yesterday. It was running my HD 2900 XT fine with Catalyst 8.9.
My beautiful HIS 4870x2 arrived and installed fine. Yes I uninstalled ATI before putting it in.
Vista comes up , I log in and it looks for the driver , I hit cancel and install 8.9 again.
No problem , everything looks perfect.
While nearing the end of the install the screen goes black , just like the insert paper said could happen. Well mine never comes out of that screen. Pc is working fine as I could connect remotely and it was downloading updates or something.
I restarted , gets past bios and everything but I never see the Vista login , its black but I get the music.

Here is my gear
Coolermaster Cosmos case
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Black Edition
Vigor Monsoon II CPU Cooler
Asus M2R32-MVP Amd 580X Crossfire MB
4gb of Corsair XMS2 Xtreme
Coolermaster 1000w Power Supply

I am in vista as we speak but without a proper driver , just basic mode.
Should I use the HIS install CD instead of 8.9?

which dvi connector are you plugged into if not try the one closest to the mother board

I had an odd issue where Vista didn't recognize the card when I installed 8.8's right off the bat. Uninstalled, driver sweep, then installed cd drivers. Bam, worked, upgraded to lastest drivers and was all good.

Something to try.....

-dave

Still doesnt work even after a BRAND NEW Vista install.
Black friggin screen after the ati software install reboots.
Vista is running , hear the music ect.

This is turning out to be a disaster , spent all this money for nothing.

Ok.
So your MB is OK because your 2900 works, correct?
You uninstalled the whole entire ATI driver set,ran driver cleaner, took out the old card and placed in your new card in the PCI-e slot closest to the CPU??? right.

You gave the X2 both power plugs, a 6 pin and an 8 pin and it's seated correctly in the slot.

Then you powered on and installed 8.9 Catalyst? If the card is OK, you should see the post screen and load into Vista using the generic drivers. 8.9 has been by far the best driver for the X2 to date.

You might want to try the install in SAFE mode if all else fails......or uninstall and reinstall the drivers.

Or plug the DVI into port #2 instaed of #1, but if you got a post screen it ain't the card.

It could be a MB bios issue. Some guys had problems with DFI boards until they flashed to the most recent bios.

Thanks Magoo .
Yep I get into vista fine without the driver installed. Its the closest to the cpu and all that. All the power plugs used ect.

Ok.
So your MB is OK because your 2900 works, correct?
You uninstalled the whole entire ATI driver set,ran driver cleaner, took out the old card and placed in your new card in the PCI-e slot closest to the CPU??? right.

You gave the X2 both power plugs, a 6 pin and an 8 pin and it's seated correctly in the slot.

Then you powered on and installed 8.9 Catalyst? If the card is OK, you should see the post screen and load into Vista using the generic drivers. 8.9 has been by far the best driver for the X2 to date.

You might want to try the install in SAFE mode if all else fails......or uninstall and reinstall the drivers.

Or plug the DVI into port #2 instaed of #1, but if you got a post screen it ain't the card.

It could be a MB bios issue. Some guys had problems with DFI boards until they flashed to the most recent bios.

I will try to get a MB update but asus usa site has been acting wierd. I am about to try the install in XP.

I'd go back and re-download the 8.9 from the ATI website and clean out your drivers.

Sounds like there is a bug in your downloaded 8.9s. I had that happen to me when I was trying out a set of beta drivers last month.

Make sure the Catalysts are from the ATI website and nobody else's.

I will try to get a MB update but asus usa site has been acting wierd. I am about to try the install in XP.

Before you flash the BIOS, I'd just try re-downloading the drivers again. Maybe you got an XP set instaed of a Vista set or some odd thing like that.

If you have trouble with ASUS, always use the "global" site or "china" instead of US.

I was just there and it was fine. I just googled your MB and then clicked into th ASUS sponsored site.

Yes I just tried the drivers once again. This time I tried the HIS ones on their site.

I have XP I can try to reinstall as a last resort.

I have updated the bios to 1101 which is the newest. It was quite old btw.
SO far no changes , same black screen after boot. I get to post and bios and all that fine.
Its once Vista finishes that little knight rider green/black status bar and gets ready to enter login prompt when it goes black.

I've heard of this before but I can't rember what the fix was, I'll do some digging and let you know if I find anything. Your not alone in this problem if that helps.

Get the drivers from here:http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx

Not anywhere else. You have corrupt drivers.

Also, is your system overclocked??? If so is it stable??? It might be a good idea to return everything to default until you get this straightened out.

Lastly, what was your screen resolution set on before you removed the 2900 card??
It may be that the resolution in the control panel is not compatable with the X2.
I'd put the 2900 back in, set the monitor resolution to a common setting you know the X2 will handle and try again.

Magoo , the issue is DVI. I just spent an hour going over the AMD forums.
For the heck of it , I hooked my vga in and it works fine.

It has to do with DVI Frequency , it is a known issue by ATI support.

Back