URGENT HELP, C:\ drive keeps filling up

I have one 500gb HD partitioned as C:\ 10GB and D:\ rest,

every 20 minutes or so I get the low space notification, but my problem is I clean out some files, make about a 1GB or 2 of space, and within minutes starts filling up again until I get the low space notification, and I cant seem to find the files that are taking up my space, I have Kaspersky AV on, no P2P programs open, just regular web browsing on my usual sites with firefox.

Please help ASAP :confused::confused::confused::confused:

It's probably system restore doing its thing. Try disabling it to see if your problem goes away. As a side note, don't you think 10gb might be a little too small? It's completely do-able and fine but it's best to have a little headroom maybe 15-20gb or so.

I wish it were unix, I could tell you exactly what was happening.

As for windows, I've never seen the same issue, but you could get some kind of process explorer or something that watches disk IO and see what writes to your disk after you clear things out.

I agree that it could be system restore. Try clearing out all but the most recent restore points by using disk cleanup avail from right clicking your c:drive and selecting properties. the system restore clean up button is under "More Options".

If not system restore then maybe internet temp files? Another trick I've done before is do a disk defrag (if you have enough free space) and see what the larger blocks are and watch the file names moved. Might offer a clue.

it's prob system restore + temp files, every time you browse stuff, watch videos, download files it all goes to your temp folder first. 10GB is definitely not enough for os I would get gparted or some other partition resizing utility and give my os at least 40gb of space.

Back