UPS

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by AORUS, Sep 8, 2018.

1. AORUS

AORUS Limp Gawd

Is APC Back-UPS, worth to buying for a modem computer of today because I have only seen about 182 reviews last dated 2015 on each unit sold online more then 8 years ago because in my city we had power cuts twice this year a few months between each other I just worried I will lose my hardware, I have a Surge Protection Extension Lead but is it enough for protection for this! if not is UPS worth to buy and what would you recommend! for 850w computer & 42inch monitor.

Thanks for taking your time in reading this.

2. Dermen

Dermen Limp Gawd

When I was a kid my dad always had one, and it seemed like it or it's battery was always getting replaced. I have never had one and the only thing that I had fail was an AIO printer. Lightning struck a tree 40ft from the house and the AIO printer could no longer fax but the rest of the functions worked fine.

This is how I look at it. There is probably less than a 1% chance of frying your PC. Is it worth $200 to cover my $1000 PC if that 1% chance happens.

3. BlueLineSwinger

BlueLineSwinger Limp Gawd

A UPS isn't going to provide any additional protection to your system vs. a surge protector. All the UPS does is let you ride out brown-outs and brief power blips, or give you a few minutes to properly save your work and shut down in the event of an extended outage.

Most UPS manufacturers have a site you can use to estimate the amount of time a given UPS will provide power in the event of an outage. Be sure to include the power draw of your monitor and any essential peripherals (e.g., USB hard drives). A Kill-A-Watt or similar is helpful here. Your PC doesn't pull 850 watts from the wall, that's just the PSU's rating. Find a UPS that suits your needs and go searching or sales.

Based on the specs in your sig, something in the 1000 VA range should be sufficient.

4. AORUS

AORUS Limp Gawd

Thanks for the reply I should have mentioned I don't have my computer always -on I only use it in the evenings for a short time and at weekends, most of my work is on a laptop so UPS isn't going to help me that much I thought it was going to given extra protection vs a surge protector Anyway thanks for the update.:)

Also thanks to the other member opinion.:)

5. WarriorX

WarriorX [H]ard|Gawd

UPS provide piece of mind. They can help clean up the power from fluctuation and prevent sudden power loss which may or may not damage equipment. $200 + battery replacements every 3 years (or whatever your UPS is rated) is a small price to pay after spending $1000+ on equipment.

I need to put my other equipment (TV, router, Nvidia shield, etc) on them but haven't gotten around to it.