UPS sugguestions

CyberJunk

Supreme [H]ardness
i need a couple UPS backups
i need one for my computer which is in my sig
i have CF 4850. The other UPS will be for my Hometheater
i have a DLP tv sony kds55a3000
i wondering what size of a UPS would i need ?

Bumping and hijacking this thread!

Which UPS brand has the LCD screen that displays information like battery level etc.

I have a APC UPS and it's plain vanilla and I have no idea what's going on inside.

Also, should I get a UPS for my 37" Westy as well? :X I only have one for my PC/Monitor.

I'm guessing probably....

Which UPS brand has the LCD screen that displays information like battery level etc.

I have a APC UPS and it's plain vanilla and I have no idea what's going on inside.

Also, should I get a UPS for my 37" Westy as well? :X I only have one for my PC/Monitor.

Start your own thread for that:
The [H]ard|Forum Rules:
(3) No THREAD HIJACKING. Start another thread if you have a different topic.

For your computer, look at something like a 1,500VA, for your TV, you don't need to UPS that, but if you REALLY wanted, a 1,500VA there would be also more than adequate since your tv only consumes 281 watts during operation.

You are thinking about TrippLite. APC also makes some with an lcd display, but TrippLite will be cheaper for your application.

I would no UPS a TV, but that's just personal preference.

Start your own thread for that:
The [H]ard|Forum Rules:
(3) No THREAD HIJACKING. Start another thread if you have a different topic.

No need for this, both questions can be addressed one shot here.

I got my hands on 2 1500VA Cyberpower units. Not the best out there, but they've saved me SO many times in the past year. I was able to get them for quite a bargain so I jumped on it They also have the LCD built in to let you know what's going on. Very nice feature, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

ya lcd is not necessary in my case either since the ups is under the desk.

op- do you have the apc powerchute software? even my old apc es350 would show voltage, battery level etc.

i just picked up this http://www.cyberpowersystems.com/pr...owse-by-category/avr-series-ups/CP900AVR.html at frys for $109 and i like it alot so far, especially when the ac in the next room dims the lights :eek:

sig rig uses 130w at idle and max (furmmark, prime 95 was 250-260)

i need ups for my tv because
if i was watching tv while i lost power the fan would not be able to come on cool off the bulb which would result in the bulb exploding or being destroyed and costing me 200 dollars for a new bulb and more money for any additional damage caused by the bulb.

i need ups for my tv because
if i was watching tv while i lost power the fan would not be able to come on cool off the bulb which would result in the bulb exploding or being destroyed and costing me 200 dollars for a new bulb and more money for any additional damage caused by the bulb.

To both posters whatever UPS you choose should have very good surge protection and voltage regulation.

While they cost a bit more what you really want and should have is a UPS that runs your gear from the UPS all the time while charging itself. You have no switching delays with this type and so far less chance of something going wrong.

Among the best of the best are products from:

Liebert Corporation
• Business type: manufacturer
• Product types: uninterruptible power supplies UPS, air cooling systems, power conditioning, environmental control systems, surge protection equipment.
• Address: 1050 Dearborn Drive, P.O. Box 29186, Columbus, Ohio USA 43229
• Telephone: 800-877-9222
• FAX: 614-841-6022

If you are not willing to spend that much money APC would (and is) my second choice. Typically their model 1500 comes in a 1300 and 1500 VA capacity and both have screen readout about input, output, current draw as well as approximate run times should the power go out.

I am a huge believer in clean power and the Leibert I have on my home theater makes a noticeable enough difference it picture quality and sound quality I had to get one for my wife because she saw the difference instantly.

If you shop around a bit the APC units are frequently on sale at CC, buy.com, BB and even NewEgg. I have two of the APC 1500 VA units I grabbed for 139.99 each from CC who had a pile in the middle of the floor.

The Liebert I found in one of those computer part junk shops where they specialize in buying corporate PCs that were being recycled. I paid 45.00 dollars and it ran fine on the batteries that came with it. I finally replaced the batteries at a cost of 18.00 each, mine takes 4 batteries.

There are many bargains to be found from the computer scrapers and as a rule they have problems moving UPS’s.

Luck;)

Whatever UPS you end up choosing, make sure it has user serviceability. UPS units themselves regularly last over a decade (my experience with ~200 UPS units of varying sizes and brands that were user serviceable). By replacing the batteries in a unit you can, for cheap, have a perfectly working ups unit again. But beware, some box stores sell units from manufactures that are not serviceable. Belkin's F6C series are great UPS units for cheap, but you cannot replace the batteries in any manner of quickness because they are not designed to be replaced. Most APC's have a slide off cover and the battery pops right out but they are more expensive.

Now I speak more from a business perspective where it is not worth the 2 person hours to replace the Belkin batteries vs the 2 minutes to replace the APC. If you have the time, it can usually be done though. I have replaced the batteries in my personal Belkin, I just will never personally buy another non user serviceable UPS.

Also another thing about changing batteries. Many times the batteries in the unit can be replaced with one step higher batteries without risk damage to the unit and you get increased run time on battery. For example we had Clary brand military spec 4 battery UPS that needed battery replacement. They came with 7ah batteries and were replaced with 8ah batteries. So we did a test with 50w idle dell's hooked up to a refreshed 4 x 7ah unit and a 4 x 8ah unit. The batteries are physically the same size, one just has more juice in it. After the 7ah unit died, the 8ah unit went on. We weren't timing it so I don't know how much longer it lasted, but the 7ah unit already lasted over 30 minutes so it was kinda a moot point. Also have replaced some Tripplite 1000va lcd units with 9ah batteries. Makes them run a 200w setup for about 6 minutes.

So don't cheap out on a UPS. Consider it an investment and make sure it is more than you need, because you don't want your UPS to not power you through a brownout just because you changed video cards.

Back