• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

UPS size recommendation

daphatgrant

Fi-yah!
Joined
Jun 15, 2003
Messages
18,564
Hello, looking for a psu or possibly 3 for a desktop, htpc, and a home server. I'm not sure whether I should get one large ups or 2 medium size ones or 3 medium size ones. I'm not looking to run the comps for any longer than it takes to shut them down.

Desktop: E8400
E8400
8GB RAM
2 HDD's (1 raptor, 1 regular)
285GTX
620watt psu

HTPC:
S939 X2 4200
2gb ram
1hdd
500watt psu

Server:
i3
8GB Ram
1 160gb hdd
8 1tb wd black drives
2 2tb wd black drives
750watt psu
 
You could probably get away with a 1500VA one and run all that, but I'd do a wattage check on it first. I usually say rule of thumb is 200 watts per mid/high end PC, so you have about 600w of computers there give or take. A 1000VA UPS will handle 600w, so it's cutting it close, so a 1500 should do.

Or even better, get 3 1000VA UPSes. I don't buy anything under 1000VA now. I figure if it's designed for that load, and I only put like 10% on it, it will last much longer.
 
Thanks for the advice, I just ordered a kill a watt tester to see what kind of wattage I will be drawing.
 
With one larger UPS you're still limited by placement & distance to each computer. You also have a limited number of plugs. I'd recommend getting 2-3 smaller units for convenience.
 
Back
Top