• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

UPS recommendations

gregnash

2[H]4U
Joined
Jun 8, 2005
Messages
2,164
Looking for some UPS recommendations that will connect the following items:
- 21.5" iMac
- 21" Dell Monitor (secondary)
- External HDD enclosure with 2x3TB drives in Raid 1
The rest of my crap; printer, speakers, sub, Airport Extreme, modem, etc., can all be connected to the surge protector.

Reason that I am asking is with the weird weather we have been having lately we have been getting some random brown outs. With these brown outs, while they usually are not long enough to have to reset the clocks in the house they are dropping my iMac. When I bring the machine back up though it normally will lock up depending on what the last application that was still open when the brown out occurred (normally Chrome).

With what I will have connect I am thinking that I should get something in the 500w range, does this sound about right?

Thanks in advance.
 
Without looking up the draw of those items, I'd say 500w should probably do, I'd get a 1000va unit which should be 600w. Drop the printer though, not really worth protecting as it would require at least 1800w on it's own, probably more to handle the inrush current. Even smaller printers can draw a decent amount of power when the fuser is heating up.
 
Yeah the only things that will be directly hooked to the battery back-up will be the computer, extra monitor, and external drives. The rest of the stuff can stay connected to the surge protector.
 
CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD is an interesting choice for that Mac, due to the hybrid sine wave design. (newer iMac's supplies are PFC.)
 
Back
Top