UPS: Power Computer Back On

Murali

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 2, 2004
Messages
282
Hey everyone,

I'm looking for a UPS for the rig in my signature... Basically, I need it to safely shut down the computer (that parts pretty easy for modern UPS's)... but the kicker is, I need it to turn it on, too.

Is there any out there that do that?
 
A lot of "smart" UPS systems such as the APC smart-ups series have the ability to turn back on the load after the battery has charged to a configurable value. When the utility power fails, the UPS switches to battery and runs the system until the battery is nearly discharged. At that point, the operating system if its been configured to monitor the UPS, will shut down, and then signal the UPS to power off the load.

After the utility power returns, the UPS will start to charge the battery, and will power back on the load once the battery has charged enough. I ususally set that theshold to 15 percent, so that way if the utility power fails again while the system is booting up, there is enough time for the system to come up and start monitoring the UPS before the battery discharges completely.

Note that you'll have to set the computer up to power on once the UPS has turned back on the load, this is usually a setting in the BIOS.
 
Back
Top