• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

UPS or Power Line Conditioner?

avatar[djedi]

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 8, 2004
Messages
195
Hey gang, I have an Antec 1200W High Current Pro PSU, and have recently found out I have abnormal voltage coming from my wall outlets (126v instead of 120). It's apparently the city's fault and i've called them and they said they'd come fix it.

However in the meantime it reminds me I need to safeguard my PC and what not.

Should I get a UPS or a PowerLine Conditioner to ensure regular voltage (no spikes, no dips, just sweet sweet 120V!). I am fairly sure that either would regulate voltage.

I don't care at all about battery backup, if the power goes out, I am fine with my PC just turning off, there's nothing mission critical that MUST run 24/7. I just want stuff to not blow up during surges, and not brown out during dips.

Got any recommendations? I wasn't sure if I needed a larger UPS to 'handle' a 1200W PSU, or if the larger voltage requirements just meant that a machine with a large draw could stay online longer.

Thanks!
 
yeah if you go UPS youll need like a 1500w unit but since youre not concerned with power outages just go with a conditioner.
 
Is your voltage 126v 24/7 or does it fluctuate ?

Because I am not sure what the values are in the states, but in the UK we use 230v which can be 230+ 10% and 230- 6%, basically 216v - 253v and ive seen my psu saying its drawing 248-250v before, but its still within spec, that was using corsair ax1500i.

Find out what your mains tolerance specifications are and if your 126v is within those tolerances then you shouldnt have any problems.

Although a ups or conditioner wouldnt hurt.
 
EVIL-SCOTSMAN is correct. 126v is on the high side but it is with tolerances in NA and will be fine for the PSU.
 
We have 230v here, was getting some equipment tagged and saw 216V in evening where that was happening. They said it's gone down to 190v before.

So I wouldn't worry about 6V fluctuations :)

Just get a UPS. I run 1500VA UPS and it runs the whole PC+Screen without a complaint. My lasers on the other hand during TEC warmup, it complains about overload, but is just borderline, no squealing transistors. They supposedly go close to 1200-1300W during this phase.

edit: check out Emerson Liebert if you don't want to pay APC pricing. Had them for 3 years, all over the country for shows and one here and no issues :)
 
Back
Top