UPS Is Tired Of Driving To Your House

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
In the “good old days” (e.g., before Amazon Prime), UPS dealt primarily with business-to-business, high-volume deliveries, but now they have to tolerate inefficient stops that involve little more than a single package. The company wants to combat this with UPS lockers—but is your neighborhood bad enough for you to choose these over a normal, doorstep delivery?

…the company is expanding its network of lockers, which allow 24-hour access to your packages without a delivery truck actually coming to your house. Yes, pretty much like the Amazon Locker, but not limited to Amazon orders. The lockers are actually an expansion of the company’s Access Point program, where you can have your package redirected to a store near you. That’s handy if you live in a theft-prone area, or an apartment complex without an office for packages to be left, but it’s only useful as long as the store you’ve had your package sent to is open.

They're also planning towards firing their drivers with driverless vehicles. Lockers mean you don't need a guy hoping out and ringing doorbells.

They're also planning towards firing their drivers with driverless vehicles. Lockers mean you don't need a guy hoping out and ringing doorbells.

They don't even ring the door bells in my area. They powerwalk to the door, drop it, then powerwalk back to their truck.

Newegg canada has this, they have some lockers in a few areas, and its free to boot.

but they already offload most of the work to the local usps... i can count on 1 hand in the past 2 years on over 10k in amazon and newegg orders the times a brown truck delivered it rather than usps... same with fedex

they call it UPS sure post and FedEx smart post but actually they ship it their way to your local usps hub then let the usps do the delivery.

The issue was for me when ups or fedex still delivered packages most of the time they would be like 2-3 days early

USPS every single time will either be exactly on time or a day late...

At least 90% of my Amazon Prime orders are delivered via USPS. We already have a locker system at my building. Only Next Day and signature required packages are delivered to individual units.

I used Amazon's lockers once for a return. They fucked it up and claiming to never get the return even though I have records proving I dropped it off. I'd imagine that with UPS' terrible service that this would only be magnified and the customer would lose out 9/10 unlike with Amazon.

So what is new? I choose to have all my packages delivered by Canada Post FlexDelivery. It's a free virtual mailbox where I pick up parcels at my convenience. No UP S dropping parcels on my front step in full vi ew of the little darlings going to school. My stuf on my time at my convenience. How retro can it get?

As long as the lockers are loaded in the AM so I don't have to wait for a driver. I'm cool with that.

Wait, I thought the privates could do it all faster and cheaper than USPS? Pussies. Stop complaining and pay your taxes!

Reactions: bos
like this
Our society is being sold out for the sake of a profit. Robots, foreign manufacturing, outsourced IT and a little cluster of rich fucks bleeding most of us all. So when is Battlefront 2 coming out?

They already do this in Germany with DHL. Packstations. You can pick up packages or you can mail packages from them. I personally prefer it, since I'm never home to receive the package from UPS, FedEx, or USPS anyways, when I was in the US. Same can be said here in Germany. I'm never home to receive the package.

express01_600.jpg

Last edited:
If it can get me my package faster at no additional cost, or same speed with a discount cost, then I'm all for it.

But I know that won't happen...

I'd much rather have a locker to pick up my packages at or to go to a ups store if it was 2 miles or less of a drive. Most of my packages they won't leave if no one is home, if I leave a note they will leave them but then I have to worry about someone stealing them while I'm not there. This is a nice solution to that problem.

They already do this in Germany with DHL. Packstations. You can pick up packages or you can mail packages from them. I personally prefer it, since I'm never home to receive the package from UPS, FedEx, or USPS anyways, when I was in the US. Same can be said here in Germany. I'm never home to receive the package.

express01_600.jpg

Amazon has been doing this for years.

My perspective: I have a Pony Express box that I have all packages delivered to. It's great to have a human always there to sign for the packages and have them stored in a secure place until I pick them up. Well worth the $160 a year because of all the packages I get, and for anyone in a neighborhood that has a lot of mailbox or porch theft. Wouldn't be worth it if you got a lot fewer packages or didn't have trouble with mailbox or porch theft.

Perspective of a relative who is a UPS driver: he loves the Pony Express style places where he just hands all the packages over to a human that sorts out where they're supposed to go. He hates the UPS Lockers because he has to figure out which locker each box has to go into.

So these two won't ship to PO Boxes, require it go to your house in a lot of cases, then say sending it to your house costs too much so want you to buy another PO Box after the one you already has isn't good enough because reasons. Sounds like a good business plan lol

Amazon has been doing this for years.

A little behind the DHL Packstations. They've been around since 2001. I have no idea why no one else makes them or does them. A users simply registers on the site for the service, which is free of charge. They'll send everything to your house/apt, unless you specify that you want it to go to a Packstation. Instead of putting your normal address, you'd put down your name, customer number, the packstation number, and the city/zipcode. So you can have your mail sent to any packstation in the country.

In other other news....a few hundred thousand people are about to lose their income.

Oh yea...and don't expect consumer prices to go down either.
Yeah, I was going to say great, have some centralized location that allows you to pick up packages at your convenience instead of having them tossed, left, stolen, etc in front of your house if you're not home when they're supposed to be delivered. Remove all those drivers salaries/health care/etc and cost to ship goods should go down! Yeah don't think that'll happen though.

We have the Amazon lockers. Much like these UPS lockers I probably won't use them, why? Because there's no incentive for me to do so.

If they offered a coupon or discount or quicker delivery, then I'd be on it.

It takes exactly the same amount of time for Amazon to deliver to their locker as for them to deliver to my house. Unless they do it quicker or give me a discount, why should I help them with their margins? If you have theft in your area, I can see it being beneficial.

I don't know how the system works for Amazon or for UPS, but with the DHL one, you aren't assigned a locker. They just put your package in a suitable locker and you go to the machine with your membercard to unlock/retrieve your mail. If there is no free space or no locker that is large enough, they toss it into the next nearest packstation or post office for collection.

Well shit I would rather drive to get my packages because most of the timey the drop it off to USPS anyway. Both usps and ups deliver to my house after 5pm and I can walk to the fing post office.

DHL has packstations all over the place, including one near where I work, here in Canada.

I'm never home to receive packages either, so recently I've been using UPS's redirection service to just pick up parcels at my local UPS store. Saves them the trip and I get my package faster.

The UPS center is only a block out of the way for me on my drive home. I'd be fine with them holding my stuff there instead of having to run home when I get a delivery email to get it off my porch.

DHL has packstations all over the place, including one near where I work, here in Canada.

I'm never home to receive packages either, so recently I've been using UPS's redirection service to just pick up parcels at my local UPS store. Saves them the trip and I get my package faster.

In the states, wasn't much an issue. They delivered around 5-7 pm to me for some reason. Here in Germany, it's like 2-3 pm. I'm usually at work then, so I never get my package until the weekend, since I don't have enough time to go fetch it during lunch.

My neighborhood isn't very bad. But since I'm disabled this would just screw me. And I know that in my area they'd consider 2 miles up a highway without any walkways and no way to get without a car as the best location to put the damned boxes.

Any farther than a few blocks, I'd be screwed.

My neighborhood isn't very bad. But since I'm disabled this would just screw me. And I know that in my area they'd consider 2 miles up a highway without any walkways and no way to get without a car as the best location to put the damned boxes.

Any farther than a few blocks, I'd be screwed.

I suspect UPS would take a page from ISPs and be happy to add a COD "convenience fee" for your packages.

This is precisely why I prefer living in a condo with a security desk, I can instruct them to take my package for me when I am out instead of having to wait at home for packages that may not deliver due to the driver not knowing how to ring my door bell.

If in the unlikely scenario that I'd be living in my house, I'd prefer this over anything else. Is it inconvenient to drive to your local store? Yes, but considering the alternative of risking the package being stolen due to no one being able to be in the house, it's much less annoying.

but they already offload most of the work to the local usps... i can count on 1 hand in the past 2 years on over 10k in amazon and newegg orders the times a brown truck delivered it rather than usps... same with fedex

they call it UPS sure post and FedEx smart post but actually they ship it their way to your local usps hub then let the usps do the delivery.

The issue was for me when ups or fedex still delivered packages most of the time they would be like 2-3 days early

USPS every single time will either be exactly on time or a day late...

I have never seen or heard of those two doing that. I know DHL does that, but that is the only company I had ever heard using the local USPS to deliver a package. Granted, I also haven't ordered much online in the past two years.

No thx, I'll pay more to have it shipped to my house. Or at least that's how I assume it will roll out. A discount for those using the packstations though.

I mean, that's how they'll spin it but in reality the current price will become the packstation price and the home delivery will be an upcharge.

If you have to drive to get it from a mailbox station, what's to stop you from driving to your local Best Buy or whatever instead of paying for shipping? They'll kill themselves off. I hate having stuff shipped by USPS BECAUSE they drop it in the community mailbox and I have to walk or drive (driving is less awkward for larger boxes) to get it. Why don't I just skip them and go to the store? One trip and taxes are sometimes less than shipping. If FedEx and UPS stops going to my house, I start shipping a LOT less crap through them. I'll probably try and have stuff shipped to work instead. Not always possible...

In other other news....a few hundred thousand people are about to lose their income.

Oh yea...and don't expect consumer prices to go down either.
Which means a few hundred thousand less potential customers for businesses. In the end they're hurting themselves, and they don't even know it.

Same problem I have. I'm never home to receive the package so it is almost always left on my step. I much prefer just going to pick a package up after work. Whenever I can, I get it delivered via Canada Post and have it sent to a local post office. Having a package delivered is fantastic ... when you're home to receive it. Otherwise it is a pain in the ass.

Back