UPS Important?

coder_t2

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys, right now I got UPS that is about 4 years old. It's been starting to act up on me, like beeping and not turning on, so I think I have too much stuff plugged into it. I unplugged everything, but the computer, and would plug in everything after it would stay on. So I was thinking about upgrading it, but is it really that important to have a UPS? I don't really care about the battery back up anymore, and I just use it as an AVR. So I am kind of wondering is an AVR that important, or does the PSU in your computer handle all that for you? Thanks.

I personally would never, ever power a computer I care at all about without using one.

But that's just me.

What other stuff are you plugging in to it? You really should only have your tower + monitor plugged in so you can save your work and do a safe shutdown if the power goes out...no need to power all your gadgets and goodies off of it and thats not what they are made to do.

Personally I use one on my server, but do not use one on my desktop. Our power barely ever goes out around here though, so I do not have a big reason to use one (maybe goes out once or twice a year if that).

Now in some areas (Florida for example) I would definitly use one as the power has been less than steller when I stay there ;)

I used to think a UPS wasn't necessary, but then my campus started having daily power flickers or brownouts. Now, I think they're worth every penny!

As I said in a different thread, the first time you need one, they've paid for themselves IMO. I will never run a desktop/server without one.

I need some advice. I just finished building my Quad Core rig and I'm trying to figure out what UPS/Surge Protector to buy for it. Since I work at Best Buy I can get a pretty good discount on what they sell. Is it really necessary to buy one of the towers that cost 100+ or will I be alright with sometime in the $50 range? I don't really know whether or not I need battery backup, or if a plain old surge protector will suffice.

Any help people can provide would be appreciated.

We have frequent brownouts here. It's an old neighborhood with old electricity, and our house is 100 years old.

The UPS keeps me from glitching out. And when the power does indeed go out completely, I at least have time to save my work and shut down properly.

So, yeah, I do think it's important to have a UPS. :)

I'm a big believer in having a UPS. Considering how much your components set you back, it's a very price effective investment. There are lots of good choices out there, but APC has really won my business. I used to live in a place with a lot of power fluctuations, and it saved my PC during several brown outs. Even if you don't notice them too much, most lines suffer from some flux. Your PS can take care of some of that, but nowhere near as well as a good UPS.

As far as which voltage you want, it really depends on how long you want to be able to run without power. Don't trust the listed ratings though, you can usually cut them by 1/2.

[I really think I just need enough battery life to shut down my PC during a power outage. Will the 750VA suffice, or did I need to splurge for one of the tower style UPS's?
I think that would probably be fine for your needs. :)

What kind of monitor do you have? Is your CPU OC'd? Chances are, when you're not gaming, you're using under 200W for your tower alone. If you have a large/old LCD, its probably around 100W on top of the tower's power; but if its new, it should be only around 50W. These are all rough estimates, btw. My new rig in my sig uses under 150W when I'm just browsing, not counting the monitors.

I have a 24" LG LCD. I haven't overclocked my CPU yet, but I will be in the near future.

I have that same monitor, and I have one of these (1500VA). However, I will bet that the one you are looking at will be plenty. I can tell you the power draw of my comp when I get home if you like. It might give you an idea of how much power the monitor draws.

I have a APC 650 for my wifes & one for my computer. When the power went out a couple times over the last month due to storms, it gave me about 14mins of backup time before going into standby. Well worth the money. Now i am getting one for our family room electronics.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...rrentprice+skuid&sc=abComputerSP&id=pcat17080

I really think I just need enough battery life to shut down my PC during a power outage. Will the 750VA suffice, or did I need to splurge for one of the tower style UPS's?

well, i've got the 1285VA Geek Squad unit you guys sell, it's got the LCD readout on it and under full load mine pulls around 400w (similar specs to yours, see e6550 rig in sig)....... and that's with an 8800GT, I think the GTS uses more power.................. 750VA would be cutting it AWFULLY close............ i'd go up to the next step, but that's just me (and I personally think the tower units are a bit nicer)........... this GS branded (rebadged Cyber Power, I believe) would do:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8280969&type=product&id=1171672093363

but for a few more bucks you could have the one I use:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7383985&type=product&id=1122654249041

and have a bit more headroom (I have my cordless phone and wireless router plugged into mine, 2 hrs runtime for that stuff when PC is powered down and that would mean I have phone service and net access via Axim and laptop provided the cable company's routers are on battery backup)

Ok. Lots of responses is good. Right now I have my monitor, computer, printer, and speakers plugged into the UPS. But only the monitor and computer are in the battery outlets. I have a CyberPower 725SL, which I think is rated at like 400 watts or so. I have had to use it several times while I lived on campus at my college, but since I am graduating in May, I was thinking it might not be necessary to have a UPS, and was beginning to worry that my current one is on its way out.

And a response to one of the previous posts, yes I am still on my original batteries.

I guess my verdict is that if this UPS dies, I'll get another one, cause its worth the investment, especially if you have bad electricity where you are at. Just sucks if the power goes out and you aren't at your house to turn off your comp.

Having a UPS with a computer should be made a requirement. I would never dare to power a PC without one.

Just sucks if the power goes out and you aren't at your house to turn off your comp.

Thats what the software is for... it provides your OS with a way to shutdown automatically, provided you hooked up the data cable from the UPS to your system, hehe.

Thats what the software is for... it provides your OS with a way to shutdown automatically, provided you hooked up the data cable from the UPS to your system, hehe.

Good point, I should go find that stuff lol. Well since I am going to be unplugging extra stuff from UPS, what is your guys' opinions on surge protectors. I know there are more expensive ones that say they'll protect against more joules, but do these more expensive ones actually work or is it just a marketing thing?

There are surge only outlets on UPS units. Do you need more plugs than whats available on the UPS?

No, but when I had nothing in those outlets, the UPS would turn on. Now, however, I noticed it will only turn on with nothing in it -.-. Not good. I also tried simulating a power outage by pulling out the UPS plug from the wall. Which I think is the way it said to do it. And everything just kind of turned off, and the UPS just beeped. I'm going to have to get in contact with CyberPower and see if my UPS is still under warranty. Cause it should turn on if only the monitor is plugged in, and it doesnt.

Back