• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

UPS for Enermax Galaxy 1000

DD214

n00b
Joined
Dec 27, 2006
Messages
5
Big Brown is bringing me an Enermax Galaxy 1000 tomorrow, and I was reading their online documentation and noticed the following:

"If you want to provide the AC source via additional UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply), please use Sine Wave type. This PSU is not compatible with Simulate Sine Wave type UPS."

I'm not an electrical engineer so I'm not positive, but I think I have a problem with my current UPS and this PSU. I've got an APC Back-UPS RS 1500VA, and according to the documentation the waveform type that it outputs is "Stepped approximation to a sinewave". I'm assuming that this is a simulated sine wave and will not be compatible with the Enermax Galaxy? The only line of APCs that state that they output a true sine wave are the Smart-UPS models, and they are very expensive. I'd rather not shell out $500 for a UPS based on my misunderstanding, but if I am correct then I guess I will have to.

Can someone who understands this stuff tell me if my assumptions are correct, and that my UPS will not work, or will I be OK with what I have? Does anyone here use an APC Back-UPS to power a Galaxy 1000?
 
I found this on the Enermax website FAQ section:

"Any UPS has 2 common types of AC output waveform in battery mode: Sine Wave type, and simulated Sine Wave type.

If your power supply has Active PFC function, you must purchase Sine Wave type UPS. On the other hand, if your power supply is without Active PFC function, you can use either Sine Wave type or Simulated Sine Wave type UPS."

Is there any truth to this? I guess the warning in their Galaxy 1000 manual is there because is has active PFC.
 
I too am seriously wondering this after reading the above. Is there really a difference that can have detrimental effects on the UPS? My current PSU has NO active PFC however my new incoming DA750 does. My current UPS is an APC BR1200, does anyone know what type of wave this particular unit uses and will it have any ill effects on my system/PSU being run from it? I sure hope this is just FUD from Enermax and not something I was missing when purchasing my UPS.
 
I too am seriously wondering this after reading the above. Is there really a difference that can have detrimental effects on the UPS? My current PSU has NO active PFC however my new incoming DA750 does. My current UPS is an APC BR1200, does anyone know what type of wave this particular unit uses and will it have any ill effects on my system/PSU being run from it? I sure hope this is just FUD from Enermax and not something I was missing when purchasing my UPS.
Your BR1200 outputs a simulated sine wave, as all APC Back-UPS models do. Only the Smart-UPS (expensive!!) models output a true sine wave.

Something just doesn't seem right to me, as almost all high-end PSUs use active PFC, and most people use the Back-UPS models. If what Enermax is saying is true, what are the effects? I just checked my current PSU (OCZ GameXtreme 700) and it has active PFC, and I'm using a simulated sine wave UPS. So far I haven't noticed anything bad happening, but I don't know what to look for.
 
has your UPS been run from battery with your active PFC based psu? I think that is the concern, not when running from AC.

Thanks for clarifying the wave type of my UPS. Too bad it isn't true. I hope I don't have any issues with my new psu being Active PFC.
 
Yes, my PSU has run off of battery power on numerous occasions. I just don't know if it is doing damage that I am not yet aware of.
 
Well, I did get a response from JonnyGURU:

I've never had an issue with running an APFC PSU on a simulated sine wave PSU. AND I LIVE IN FLORIDA so you know I get to test that a lot.

Obviously the PSU won't be as efficient, but it's not going to hurt it.

Let me unplug my UPS right now.....

Still running! Nothing odd going on here.

Take it for what it's worth. He is the guru of PSUs after all :).

Source: http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15804&postcount=7
 
Use "simulated/modified sinewave" UPS with caution for Enermax's PSU !!!

Especially those 500watts and above Enermax model.

The Infamouse Exploding Enermax. --> Enermax liberty 620watts

Any non true sinewave UPS and "some" AVR can and will damage the Enermax Liberty 620watts.

Ala the infamous magic smoke and light show with BBQ flavoured smoke.

:D
 
Back
Top