UPS + ESXi + Server 2008 R2 Guest + RAID Array

OldSchool

Limp Gawd
So, quick question about how I currently have a UPS configured in a Server 2008 R2 guest OS. Due to the baffling lack of support for UPS' in ESXi, I passed the USB for the UPS (a basic 1500VA APC Back-ups) to the Server 2008 VM and configured the shutdown procedure. What I am concerned about is I have an array on an Areca ARC-1880i that is also passed to the 2008 VM, are there any possible issues that could occur with the array when the box eventually loses power when the UPS dies? There is one other VM, an Ubuntu installation that I really don't care about that much. Also the RAID card has a BBU if that makes any difference...

And yes I have heard of the possibility of scripting ESXi to shutdown, just haven't gotten that far.

If the windows VM is the only user of the areca, it should be shut down by the time power fails, so I can't see how anything would get corrupted... You can shutdown the ubuntu for free though by having it be an ethernet client and the windows vm be the ethernet server. Assuming you install apcupsd...

So, quick question about how I currently have a UPS configured in a Server 2008 R2 guest OS. Due to the baffling lack of support for UPS' in ESXi, I passed the USB for the UPS (a basic 1500VA APC Back-ups) to the Server 2008 VM and configured the shutdown procedure. What I am concerned about is I have an array on an Areca ARC-1880i that is also passed to the 2008 VM, are there any possible issues that could occur with the array when the box eventually loses power when the UPS dies? There is one other VM, an Ubuntu installation that I really don't care about that much. Also the RAID card has a BBU if that makes any difference...

And yes I have heard of the possibility of scripting ESXi to shutdown, just haven't gotten that far.

What's on the array? Everything? any way you slice it have to shutdown the guests before losing the power to the array.

Ooops, I should have added that. The array on the Areca is strictly data available only to the Server 2008 VM. The guests run off of a separate RAID 1 on a different controller card.

In that case, if the only VM client has shutdown gracefully, I can't imagine why there would be an issue?

OK, thanks. I just wanted to make absolutely sure that this is an acceptable way to go about it.

I'm assuming the areca doesn't require anything special to shutdown or anything - I could be wrong, never seen a raid controller that did, but you should be sure. That said...

When Windows shuts down, it tells all drives to flush all caches to disk. It "should" be fine.

Back