• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

ups battery drained after 1 minute??

silverstonec2d

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 13, 2007
Messages
128
I'm thinking the battery in my ups may be going bad, but I wanted to get some other people's opinions before I go ahead and order a replacement. I just finished upgrading my pc this weekend and was playing the fear 2 demo, when the ac power cut out. Once i realized what had happened, i quickly exited the game only to have the apc powershute software telling me I have less than 1 minute of power left on battery. My setup is in my sig. Now my ups i'm using is maybe 1 1/2 yrs old, it's an APC BX1300LCD rated for 780w. By this time, the power had came back on, but according to both the apc software and the indicator lcd on the ups itself, the battery was drained down to less than 10% from a full charge. This happened within no more than a 2 minute timeframe. I'm not sure what my wattage being used is under a load, but i know idling the software reads a draw of about 250w. I'd say it's nowhere near the 780w max, maybe 500. Also, this happened last year during another gaming session, but that time I took to long to exit the game and my system just shut down. I'm thinking either a bad battery, even though i do the self test weekly, or maybe I need a bigger UPS. Thanks in advance.
 
I'd check the load that the UPS is reporting on the LCD. If it is anywhere near full load it won't last long - just long enough to get shut down safely. I'd check that first, but it could be a bad battery. Ever lost power before?
 
Those batteries in UPS usually don't last long. I had one that crapped out after 1yr.
 
Its either a problem from
a) way too large a load for the battery used.
b) the UPS battery charging circuit has a fault
c) the battery is knackered.

a) is more or less ruled out unless something has a fault and is drawing way to much current
b) possible but unlikely
c) very likely.
 
thanks for the input, everyone. I did check the load reading on the lcd screen on the ups itself and it matches the software so I'd say that is accurate. I should mention that when this happened before a while back, my setup then used more power than it does now. I was drawing about 400w idle vs 250w now on the same UPS. Oddly, my old setup had 2 8800gtx in SLI and a core 2 extreme quad 2.93 OC'd to 3.2 and drew 150w MORE idling than it does now with the i7 setup. But as I mentioned earlier, that setup drained to fast for me to shut down if I was gaming where as this time, I had enough time to exit and shut down. The battery itself costs $79 and it would suck to replace it if it's not the problem. If i need a bigger ups, are they're any recommendations?? I've always stuck with APC, but they only have up to 1500VA for home use models without spending a ton on commercial models.
 
Do you have frequent blackouts? This would significantly reduce the life of the battery. Also, what is the runtime APC indicates for your UPS with this load?
 
Back
Top