UPS batteries

Omegas

[H]F Junkie
Where do you guys pickup replacement UPS batteries? Is there a semi secret on-line store that sells them cheaper then everyone else and with low shipping rates? Kinda like Monoprice and cables, but for batteries. Are the Chinese made batteries comparable at all?

Btw, this is for home use, nothing like mission critical servers and such. Thanks!

I get mine at a local electrical distributor. Not MUCH cheaper, but I'd say more then half the price of what the manufacturer charges, maybe a bit cheaper. If you have such store locally maybe check there.

From my understanding APC just uses batteries from a 3rd party and rebrands them. When you take the APC sticker off there's actually another company name and "Made in China".

Local fire/security alarm supply companies. They may not sell retail, unless you bring cash.

Don't trust the backup supply's built-in self test to accurately indicate the condition of the battery because I've seen many batteries that passed the test fail to run the computer for more than 30-120 seconds, as opposed to the advertised 5-15 minutes. The built-in test applies a load of just 5% of the battery's rated amp*hour/hour rating, and unless you periodically test with 10x that load, you should probably replace the battery after 3 years. APC says their surge warranty doesn't apply if you use a different brand of battery, and APC's 7-8 amp*hour batteries cost more than their 550VA backups, especially when they're on sale for $30 after rebate.

I have been getting all of mine at Batteries Plus, the prices are excellent. They warranty the batteries as well so if something happens to them you can take them back in town for quick replacement.

PS. I have never had to take a battery back to them.

I have been getting all of mine at Batteries Plus, the prices are excellent. They warranty the batteries as well so if something happens to them you can take them back in town for quick replacement.

PS. I have never had to take a battery back to them.
ditto

If I have the APC bx1500 which lists RBC33 as the battery replacement, does that mean I cannot use the battery you linked? That one is listed as RBC2+. Thanks.

Remember to save your cable and try to take the tape/stickers off both sides without damaging them. This is usually pretty easy. I have done this several dozen times at work.. Also remember how the batteries are wired. Usually there should be a yellow wire between the red of one battery to the black terminal of a second and then the cable connects to the 2 remaining terminals. That would be red connecting to 1 red terminal on one battery and black from the cable connecting to the black terminal on the other battery. Although after i write that, the grey bracket that is in the middle of the two batteries should have everything wired correctly without any changes.

RBC32.jpg

Last edited:
It's no problem, I am more of a visual guy than a text reader :) I'll be careful and ask if I need to.

Back