Upload limiting

Kendrak

[H]ard|DCer of the Year 2009
I went though the router sticky but didn't see anything addressing this:

I have a folding farm and when the WU upload it kills the network (games and the like)

Is there a router, wired or wireless, that I can throttle a particular port and keep all of these uploads from killing the network?

(most of the boxen are all plugged into one switch that then goes into the router)

I have a DIR-625 that I got with help from the sticky.

It has QOS and it says that it is enabled..... yeh right :rolleyes:

Do I need something that has a better QOS system?

Probably, I am currently working on taking an old 386 and loading FreeBSD on it and configure it with PF. A guy at my work is going to assist me with this and the unix rules needed to configure. His crap is FAST, my uploads to work suck period while he's over there screaming with uploads.

PF

If you don't want to go with that, you can try messing with the QoS implementation on the router. I have decided not to go that route simply because I am working on this other method.

PF is a bit over my head, thanks for the help.

Any other suggestions?

if you know what ports the WU updates use then you should be able to set those ports to get bottom of the barrel QoS. Or, you could just setup your 80/443 traffic to be at the top of the bucket. That should prioritize that stuff over anything else.

How do you have the QoS setup on it now? Most of the time you can't just turn it on, there is some initial configuration that needs to take place before it starts actually doing anything.

if you know what ports the WU updates use then you should be able to set those ports to get bottom of the barrel QoS. Or, you could just setup your 80/443 traffic to be at the top of the bucket. That should prioritize that stuff over anything else.

How do you have the QoS setup on it now? Most of the time you can't just turn it on, there is some initial configuration that needs to take place before it starts actually doing anything.

The router has a selection that says "optimize for gaming" So I made sure that is checked. Needless to say that is not working

The router has a selection that says "optimize for gaming" So I made sure that is checked. Needless to say that is not working

I would check and see if you can find what ports the WU upload is using and see if you can set that to the bottom of the queue.

Maybe try setting up an old box as a firewall with pFsense. It has excellent QoS support.
Someone who could probably help with that (pFsense + QoS) more than I is YeOldeStoneCat. Hardware requirements are very low. Can get away with pretty much anything.

Link - http://pfsense.com/

Edit: What kind of connection are you running (Download/Upload)?

Back