Upload Caping on simple home router

MiXdNuTs

Gawd
I share internet on a wireless router but I am afraid that my friends (neighbors) will be stupid and upload on Kazaa all day. I am the only wired connection to the router and they all connect through 802.11g. I use MAC filtering but they didn't care about encryption. I want to cap their upload to the net because it is ruining my gaming. They dont even know that they are uploading because they are that stupid. Too much of a hastle for me to turn fix it for them on their local machines so I would rather find a way to do it through my router. Any suggestions? I didn't find much other than site blocking parental controles in my router's menus.

Unfortunately, your average consumer-level router won't really have much in the way of Quality of Service capabilities - and that's what you need.

QoS will allow you to prioritize/drop the traffic coming from certain IPs, using certain protocols, etc. Alternately, you could run a cable from the router to a BSD/Linux server with a wireless card in it and set up software on that (altq on OpenBSD comes to mind) and make that server be the wireless access point.

However, without changing your existing hardware, I believe that your only solution is to politely inform your friends that they need to change their ways, explain to them how to change their ways, and tell them that if they don't, you'll shut down the AP.

Back