Upload and Download

Imber

n00b
Joined
May 25, 2005
Messages
11
unfortunly I live in israel.
I'm a gamer so I play online games in europe. First person games

Im on a 1.5mbit download speed and 96kb upload
So I was wondering if I increase my upload speed to 0.5mbit will I get better pings?
 
Yes and no - it all depends on server location / route taken to the server etc.


i am in Central America (above panama) and some online games - i can connect to a server in the UK or Canada and get better pings then a server in the US.

there are FAR too many factors that affect online gaming these days and %99 of them are completly out of your control.

only thing to do is try it and find out.
 
Imber said:
unfortunly I live in israel.
I'm a gamer so I play online games in europe. First person games

Im on a 1.5mbit download speed and 96kb upload
So I was wondering if I increase my upload speed to 0.5mbit will I get better pings?

First off, you need to understand the difference between bandwidth and latency. Increasing how much data you can transfer at a time (bandwidth) will not affect how fast data can travel from point A to point B and back to A (this is latency). I often refer to bandwidth being the lanes of a highway, and latency being the speed limit.

Now, you can sorta affect your latency bit if your data is too big to be sent at one time. In that case you'll need to wait for the data to be fragmented up in order to be sent peice at a time. Though to be honest, its not really an effect on the latency, but is a waiting game for packets to be sent out. Its that queing process that can play havoc with games (and their latency). For an example, try playing a game while files are being trasferred across your internet connection. Another thing that can impact performance is contention, but modern networks seldom have that as a core issue.
 
Unless your ISP routes the "higher speed packages" differently...chances are "no, not really"

As mentioned above...overall throughput is different from latency.

Now your upload is exceptionally low....but still, as far as I know, no current games will take that much bandwidth...so your 96k is not a bottleneck. (I think Battlefield Vietnam can take up to 80k on the client side depending upon various settings) This is assuming your "benchmarked" upload is actually 96k. But you want to adjust your game client settings accordingly anyways....and since your connection is a bit low....try setting your game rate (in the options) to make sure it's at the most set to DSL, or even ISDN...which would be the best choice in your case.

Also what other traffic is on your network? Sharing this with anyone? In which case...yes increasing your package "might" help lower latency since there will be less competition to saturate your bandwidth.
 
Back
Top