Upgrading

speedy523

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey everyone! Well i've been on the fence between a couple things these past few months, but ive finally decided to make the switch to nehalem. But the only part of the system im having doubts on is the graphic cards. Pretty much i was going to sell the comp in my sig and get 3x GTX 285 FTW from eVGA for Tri-SLI since in recent benches, it seems to out preform 2x GTX 295. But then as i was reading around i read that nvidia's new 3XX line up is coming out in the next few months, and that got me worried as i wouldnt be upgrading my graphics cards for at last a year or two after i purchase them.

So basically i have three questions:

1) When is nvidia's new line up coming out, and is it worth the wait?
2) Should i wait for DX11 since it is coming out soon?
3) If i were to buy the 3x GTX 285 FTW right now, how much would i be able to sell them for in lets say, 1 year?

Thanx in Advance!

I heard late 09 for dx11 based cards. I would pull the trigger, Just because dx11 is launched, does not mean its gonna be used by every game right off the bat :cool:

I heard late 09 for dx11 based cards. I would pull the trigger, Just because dx11 is launched, does not mean its gonna be used by every game right off the bat :cool:

whoa thanx for the quick reply :D

But yeah i was thinking about going with it anyway, but still, for things like this i tend to get paranoid when looking at it in a long term perspective :p But if i spend ~ $1350 right now on the three 285s, around how much can i expect to get from them if i sell them around the time DX11 and the GTX 3XX come out at the end of the year?

EDIT: And also, i know this isnt related to my original question, but its been bugging me for the past few days and i just remembered when i read your sig; What does it mean when people say their CPU and/or Heatsink is Lapped?

Why do you want to do Tri-285's? Unless your on a massive res monitor.

As for resell value, Their like what 360? According to newegg, unless your getting heavly overclocked versions, You can probably get around $200-275 around that time, Its just a random guess, and very situation dependent, in the meaning that some people would not want to invest in dx10 cards when dx11 cards are available. Who knows.

When having a Heatsink lapped, Its making sure that the base of the heatsink is completely flat for better contact with the processor or whatever its cooling. Since most bases are not. Which in return of course brings better temps.

When having a Heatsink lapped, Its making sure that the base of the heatsink is completely flat for better contact with the processor or whatever its cooling. Since most bases are not. Which in return of course brings better temps.

Usually with sandpaper, FYI.

Hey everyone! Well i've been on the fence between a couple things these past few months, but ive finally decided to make the switch to nehalem. But the only part of the system im having doubts on is the graphic cards. Pretty much i was going to sell the comp in my sig and get 3x GTX 285 FTW from eVGA for Tri-SLI since in recent benches, it seems to out preform 2x GTX 295. But then as i was reading around i read that nvidia's new 3XX line up is coming out in the next few months, and that got me worried as i wouldnt be upgrading my graphics cards for at last a year or two after i purchase them.

So basically i have three questions:

1) When is nvidia's new line up coming out, and is it worth the wait?
2) Should i wait for DX11 since it is coming out soon?
3) If i were to buy the 3x GTX 285 FTW right now, how much would i be able to sell them for in lets say, 1 year?

Thanx in Advance!

dumb question but as you already have a 4870X2 why would you want to go to tri sli? save the money and drop another 4870X2 in if you wish, (you have a 4mp monitor I assume) I just don't see trisli being that much of an upgrade unless money is just of no consideration.

Why do you want to do Tri-285's? Unless your on a massive res monitor.

As for resell value, Their like what 360? According to newegg, unless your getting heavly overclocked versions, You can probably get around $200-275 around that time, Its just a random guess, and very situation dependent, in the meaning that some people would not want to invest in dx10 cards when dx11 cards are available. Who knows.

Yeah, im getting a 30" which means i want to play my games at 2560 x 1600 :)

And the 285s im thinking about getting retail at $450 so i was hoping to sell them for about 300 at least.

And yes, i do agree, if it was me, i too would skip over the dx10 and go for 11 :D but from what i've read, most of dx11 is made to be able to run on dx10 and dx10.1 cards, with only a couple of new dx11 only features seperating it from dx10.

dumb question but as you already have a 4870X2 why would you want to go to tri sli? save the money and drop another 4870X2 in if you wish, (you have a 4mp monitor I assume) I just don't see trisli being that much of an upgrade unless money is just of no consideration.

haha i know. and im currently not running on a high res monitor, but from what i've read, Crossfire 4870x2's dont run as great as the nvidia solutions in terms of stability and performance.

EDIT: Ok well after looking around so more, and looking into what everyone has said, im probably going to sell my current comp with my old 8800 GTX OC2E, and try out my 4870 x2 on my new comp.

But if i do end up doing this, atm, how much would i get for selling a VisionTek 4870 x2 by itself, with the original packaging, all parts, everything, like the way i first got it?

Tri sli or quad 295 sli is still not going to max Crysis at 2560x1600. Warhead is another matter but the expansion is not as demanding as the original so upgrading to tri 285s right now is a waste. Also unless you've got a core 2 quad or i7 that e6600 isn't powerful enough to push sli and tri sli to their full potential.

Tri sli or quad 295 sli is still not going to max Crysis at 2560x1600. Warhead is another matter but the expansion is not as demanding as the original so upgrading to tri 285s right now is a waste. Also unless you've got a core 2 quad or i7 that e6600 isn't powerful enough to push sli and tri sli to their full potential.

i know, but who said im getting the cards for crysis :p

And as for the processor, the cards arent for my current build, but instead my new build which is going to be i7.

Back