• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Upgrading

fantomau

2[H]4U
Joined
Aug 25, 2007
Messages
3,367
With the recent price cut on the q9550, The q9650 especially since its now down to under $350, It has made it very tempting to get 1 of them.

I currently have a E8400.

I was wondering if that would be a good upgrade, Since I dont expect to go the CI7 route anytime soon, Because then I would have to buy a new mobo and ram and I cant afford that right now.

Also, Should I really concern myself over the C1 and E0 steppings?

Which do you think I should get: Q9550 or Q9650
 
Why are you looking to upgrade? If you're multi-tasking to a point where you're 2 cores are starting to slow down, then go with the q9550 and OC to the 9650's speeds.

If you're holding out on i7, and your CPU isn't that limited atm, pocket that cash and wait to put it towards your i7 build. By that time your CPU, RAM and MOBO will only cost a bill or 2 more than the Q9xxx alone.
 
I know some people have bought the q9550 from NE and got the E0 revision, But some also got the C1. Is that something i really should concern myself with?
 
I know some people have bought the q9550 from NE and got the E0 revision, But some also got the C1. Is that something i really should concern myself with?

Depends how much you plan on overclocking. Realistically, it won't make much of a difference. However, you will most probably not be able to reach 4GHz stably with a C1, whereas an E0 should be able to do so.
 
Back
Top