Upgrading with only $200 and can't decide please help.

Mermalion

Limp Gawd
I have saved a bit of money up and would like to make my current computer a little more game worthy. Right now it can't play Dirt, NFS: Pro Street, Crysis or other new games because it's very processor limited. The video card isn't that great but does good enough for now. Here are current system specs

MSI K9VGM-V socket AM2 board
2x 1gb G.Skill DDR2 667mhz
AMD Sempron 3400+
160gb Maxtor
80gb Samsung
MSI 8600GT OC 256mb
360w Seasonic power supply

I think thats about it really. My problem is I am limited to $200 with shipping to upgrade but can not decide what items to buy for the best performance increase. I was thinking of buying a x2 3800+ and a decent motherboard. I keep picking something out and then changing it only minutes later. I just can't decide. I would like to stick to newegg if possible please.

Thank you,
Jordan

What's wrong with your current motherboard? It's AM2 -- pick up one of the Black Edition chips and a nice heatsink.

Unfortunately you're not going to be able to play Crysis or Dirt with an 8600 no matter how high you clock it or the CPU... save maybe at 800x600.

2GB PQI Cas4 (4-4-4-12) DDR2-800 - $51 shipped ($41 AR)
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Black Edition - $100 (free ship)
Coolermaster RR-CCH-LB12-GP 120mm HSF - $49.33 shipped

Total - $200.33 shipped, $190.33 AR

Or...

$75 - E2140 CPU
$86 - Gigabyte GA-P35-SG3 motherboard
$49 - Coolermaster RR-CCH-LB12-GP 120mm HSF

$210 shipped. Slightly over budget but faster. Unfortunately I don't know how far your current RAM will OC, so it may be a limiting factor.

Should be good to 3.0-3.2Ghz. As will all OCing, YMMV. Faster clock for clock than the Athlon 64 X2.

And yeah you wont be able to play crysis with that video card any day soon. games are gpu intensive not really processor.

The op is running a Sempron 3400+, A new cpu would benifit more in games then a new gpu.

The op is running a Sempron 3400+, A new cpu would benifit more in games then a new gpu.

To a degree, yes; but the OP is also playing Crysis, which wreaks havoc on even high-end systems. I agree that the CPU should be the first thing upgraded (the 5000+ BE/Scythe Ninja combo that rxteenager recommended is a good idea), but the OP also needs to save up some money for a better graphics card. The HD3850 should be the bare minimum, in terms of graphics performance, that the OP should be looking for.

(kzrider: For curiosity's sake, could you also list the monitor that you're using?)

I agree, CPU first, then GPU later. Though, how quickly do you save? If it'll take you too long to save, go for a $60 AX2 4000+ instead, and save a bit more for the HD3850 (less to save than if you went with a $100+ CPU).

Will the unlocked multiplier work on his motherboard? I'd buy the 5000+ BE anyways since it equals the vanilla in pricing, but doesnt have a HSF

STEP ONE: Buy the 5000+ BE for $100 and OC it as far as you can
STEP TWO: Sell your 8600GT/3400+ use onboard video temporarily
STEP THREE: Buy a 3870/8800GT
STEP FOUR: Enjoy Crysis at its fullest

Also a RAM upgrade doesn't make a lot of sense to me. DDR2-800 won't offer any more performance or overclockability over DDR2-667

Back