Upgrading with new SSD and windows 8

crb806

Weaksauce
I currently have a 128gb SSD with Windows 7 installed and I plan to upgrade my SSD to a new 500gb and upgrade my OS to Windows 8. Can I just power down my system and remove the old SSD and install the new one and boot up and proceed with install as if it is a fresh new build?

This build is an Intel 3930K with a GIGABYTE X79 LGA 2011 UD3 motherboard. Any thing else I should watch out for?

I currently have a 128gb SSD with Windows 7 installed and I plan to upgrade my SSD to a new 500gb and upgrade my OS to Windows 8. Can I just power down my system and remove the old SSD and install the new one and boot up and proceed with install as if it is a fresh new build?

This build is an Intel 3930K with a GIGABYTE X79 LGA 2011 UD3 motherboard. Any thing else I should watch out for?

Absolutely. As a general rule I always check for firmware updates to an SSD drive before I get an OS installed.

Also if you are going to Win8 are you going to use secure boot? If so you'll want to make sure you have the current motherboard BIOS with options set properly, GOP compliant video BIOS, and boot the Win8 install in UEFI mode.

Back