Upgrading to Windows 8.1

maverick786us

2[H]4U
Since Windows 8.1 is free for all Windows 8 users. I want to upgrade to Windows 8.1 in my HP Envy 15 touchsmart. But I don't want an upgrade, I want a clean install. For that I need to download Windows 8.1 ISO so that I can install it using by a USB Drive.

All Microsoft sites lead to online download upgrade through windows store. Can someone the procedure of downloading Windows 8.1 ISO? Where it first internally verifies the Windows serial stored in BIOS and then lets me download ISO file?

I used this link

http://lucca.hardforum.com/rewrite/...dds&id=1&match=1&source=none&destination=none

To extract the serial key of my pre-installed windows. But when I inserted, it didn't work :(.

Does windows 8 serial doesn't work with windows 8.1? The magic part is both Windows 8 and IE have the same serial key. Did someone hacked my serial key? Because couple of months ago. I posted the serial in this form for couple of hours and the removed it

I used this link

http://lucca.hardforum.com/rewrite/...dds&id=1&match=1&source=none&destination=none

To extract the serial key of my pre-installed windows. But when I inserted, it didn't work :(.

Does windows 8 serial doesn't work with windows 8.1? The magic part is both Windows 8 and IE have the same serial key. Did someone hacked my serial key? Because couple of months ago. I posted the serial in this form for couple of hours and the removed it

I have the same problem with my Alienware. The OEM keys don't seem to work with the setupbox programs. I'm a little annoyed because I can't get fresh install media from Alienware so aside from my recovery USB (not even sure it works) I don't really have a way to restore my machine.

Just install the win 8.1 update then do a full fresh that formats and deletes everything. That IS a clean install.

Just install the win 8.1 update then do a full fresh that formats and deletes everything. That IS a clean install.

In order to install Windows 8.1, I have to download the ISO from the above mentioned site. In order to download the ISO, it asks for the serial key, and at this point of time the serial key is not accepted

I'd imagine fresh installs of 8.1 are for retail copy's of 8 only. OEM will be upgrade only or wait for them to put out their own updated media. I'm not 100% on that though so if you do figure please let us know :)

I updated to 8.1 the other day. During the update, I was prompted as to what data I wanted to keep. The options were Programs, data, or nothing. I would bet that if you chose nothing, it would be a clean install.

Don't want to sound like a pirate. But I've downloaded the ISO file from torrent. Now the question is, If I perform a clean install, will it take accept the serial key that is stored in the BIOS of my HP Envy Laptop?

I updated to 8.1 the other day. During the update, I was prompted as to what data I wanted to keep. The options were Programs, data, or nothing. I would bet that if you chose nothing, it would be a clean install.

I don't want to keep the program. But I want a clean install, keeping the drivers intact. Is it possible?

You'll need to get a generic or "pirated" key to install Windows 8.1 if you do a full install and then you need that cmd hack to get your Windows 8 upgrade key to work, as I heard people said. Currently there is no official way to get an ISO from Microsoft unless your a MSDN subscriber as I heard as well.

You'll need to get a generic or "pirated" key to install Windows 8.1 if you do a full install and then you need that cmd hack to get your Windows 8 upgrade key to work, as I heard people said. Currently there is no official way to get an ISO from Microsoft unless your a MSDN subscriber as I heard as well.

Then, it will be of no use to me. I've read in numerous threads, these new windows 8 laptops store the serial key in the BIOS. So I thought that if I use this Windows 8.1 ISO, it will automatically extract the serial key from BIOS and install and register it successfully.

Finally I upgraded to Windows 8.1 using Windows upgrade. Since this is an upgrade, not a clean install. So I don't know how it will act in later stages. But my first experience, it looks smooth

Try the "Remove everything and reinstall Windows" (type that to search bar) for a fresh windows installation after upgrading.

I noticed upgrading from 8 to 8.1, it runs smoother than before. I would say a fresh install would be great but dont think a large improvement. Course I dont tinker with my home computer.

Back