• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Upgrading To SSD But Have Concerns

Carlosinfl

Loves the juice
Joined
Sep 25, 2002
Messages
6,633
I'm thinking about throwing in some 100GB SSD's (SATA) that I have laying around the office. They're STEC Mach8 identical 100 GB SATA drives but I've never used any SSD drives in the past to load my O.S. on. Here are some questions:

I've read / heard some possible incorrect information that SSD's have a limit to how many times you can write data to the drive. Is this correct and or still valid with the specific SSD I'm using and if so, what exactly does that mean in terms of usability and life cycle?

Anything else I should know that most users switching from traditional spindle disks to SSD's?
 
Sounds good...except the part about loading Windows 7 :(

Sorry, I'm a Linux user ;)
 
I don't know but I can find out...so I should ask how Linux manages data on SSD's in accordance to "TRIM"?
 
does linux have provisions for TRIM or some equivalent garbage collection mechanism?

Yes it has TRIM support since the 2.6.33 kernel, but it must be enabled manually using /etc/fstab and putting the 'discard' command in the file.
 
Sounds good...except the part about loading Windows 7 :(

Sorry, I'm a Linux user ;)

I'm a heavy Linux user as well, but I don't see what's wrong with Win7.
If the OP is a gamer, you can't play any modern titles on Linux distros.

Linux has it's purposes, but for what most people wanting a SSD do on here, it isn't really the right OS choice, imo.

Not everyone likes CLI. ;)
 
yes, there is linux support of various degrees, for trim commands with hdparm or something...

lol, I already posted above on how to do it. ;)

Just fyi, Ext4 supports TRIM, but earlier versions do not, nor does ReiserFS or XFS for that matter, so make sure to use Ext4 for your SSD if you want TRIM.
 
lol, I already posted above on how to do it. ;)

Just fyi, Ext4 supports TRIM, but earlier versions do not, nor does ReiserFS or XFS for that matter, so make sure to use Ext4 for your SSD if you want TRIM.

i should refresh more
 
I'm thinking about throwing in some 100GB SSD's (SATA) that I have laying around the office. They're STEC Mach8 identical 100 GB SATA drives but I've never used any SSD drives in the past to load my O.S. on. Here are some questions:

I've read / heard some possible incorrect information that SSD's have a limit to how many times you can write data to the drive. Is this correct and or still valid with the specific SSD I'm using and if so, what exactly does that mean in terms of usability and life cycle?

Anything else I should know that most users switching from traditional spindle disks to SSD's?

You have STEC SSDs 'laying around the office' but don't know much about them...?:confused:

Where the heck do you work?
 
Back
Top