• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Upgrading to S939 from an Intel

Dkiper74

n00b
Joined
Aug 10, 2004
Messages
15
I am currently on an Intel rig and am looking to make a jump to the 'darkside'. I have been reading reviews about two boards specifically. The first is the MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum the second is the Asus A8V Deluxe. I am looking at bring most of my old components over. These include:
2 x 512 Kingston HyperX 4000 (probably not the best, but will have to make do)
BFG 6800 GT OC
Antec TruePower 430
Samsung CDRW
Maxtor SATA HD (May purchase second for RAID setup)

I am planning on either a Winnie 3200 or maybe a 3500. Depending on the cost. I have several concerns:
1. Antec PS and MSI K8N, I have read on some forums that they do not play nice toghether.
2. BFG 6800 GT and MSI K8N some stability issues if you OC. Requires disabling FastWrites.
3. Kingston Hyperx 4000 probably not the best due to the high latencies.

Does anyone know of any additional issues that I may have overlooked. I will be doing some mild overclocking on Air so I don't need extreme voltages and such. I would like to be able to get to around 2.4~2.5 Ghz if possible. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks!
 
Dkiper74 said:
I am currently on an Intel rig and am looking to make a jump to the 'darkside'. I have been reading reviews about two boards specifically. The first is the MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum the second is the Asus A8V Deluxe. I am looking at bring most of my old components over. These include:
2 x 512 Kingston HyperX 4000 (probably not the best, but will have to make do)
BFG 6800 GT OC
Antec TruePower 430
Samsung CDRW
Maxtor SATA HD (May purchase second for RAID setup)

I am planning on either a Winnie 3200 or maybe a 3500. Depending on the cost. I have several concerns:
1. Antec PS and MSI K8N, I have read on some forums that they do not play nice toghether.
2. BFG 6800 GT and MSI K8N some stability issues if you OC. Requires disabling FastWrites.
3. Kingston Hyperx 4000 probably not the best due to the high latencies.

Does anyone know of any additional issues that I may have overlooked. I will be doing some mild overclocking on Air so I don't need extreme voltages and such. I would like to be able to get to around 2.4~2.5 Ghz if possible. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks!

2.4 on air is about right.

Not sure about the memory tho. I'd never recommend it but cant swear it wont work.

You might try selling it and getting some low latency pc3200 by someone like PDP or OCZ. The Samsung TCCD chips used in both oc very well at stock voltages.
 
for ram i would go for crucial ballistix, this stuff works awesome. As for the processor the 3500+ rocks, but you wouldn't notice that much difference with the 3200+ so if the extra $70-80 doesn't matter that much than go with the 3500+ but you'll be just as happy with the 3200+. The TCCD chips work great, but for 939's the ballistix are better i think.
 
as far as the msi board is concernd...if you goto MSI's web site..and look up that mb...theres a list of what memory they have tested....and you and the same goes for Kingston..they will show you what there stuff runs in..ocz..and crucial r good moduals...but give Mushkin a look too
 
for memory i would get the OCZ Rev2 memory TCCD and for power supply i have the antec true power 550 watts and so far no problems at all.I have my 90 3500 overclocked to 2.5 prime stable :D
 
I would go with the Asus A8V Deluxe unless you are massively overclocking. It is a great board. I have worked with three of them now, and even the rev 1's are good as long as you are not severely oc'ing. Memory: No doubt it is the PDP TCCD. Patriot (PDP) has some XBL stuff that will oc like a mamma. I don't oc much if at all, as I want the tight, tight timings (2-2-2-5) but it is good stuff for under 250.
 
Back
Top