Upgrading to 8GB Woes

Burpy

Limp Gawd
I decided to upgrade to 8GB of RAM and received the second 4GB (2x2GB) kit today from newegg.

First thing I notice is the packaging that newegg used.. it came in a yellow envelope. This immediately annoyed me because of how carriers can be careless with packages.
I open it and find the memory modules are not situated correctly within the protective plastic, which of course made me sigh with disappointment.

I pop in the two new sticks filling up all four slots and promptly boot-up & get no post.
I reset my bios and try again and no post again. I remove the new modules and boot into bios and set the recommend voltage (2.0v), re-insert memory, boot up, and again no post.

I remove my working memory and install the new ones in the same slots and still no boot. Tried one at a time and both sticks didn't post. So, I got two DOA sticks of memory.

I can't help but think this could of been caused by the packaging used by newegg, I am really disappointed. :(

I'm currently in the process of obtaining RMA. I just needed to vent a bit because as you all know, getting DOA hardware is a real buzz kill.

- Patriot Extreme Performance 4GB

Sorry to hear that bro... I personally have never recieved ram from newegg in that kind of packaging, but unless one of the chips was physically damaged I would not blame it on the packaging. Unless the boards were cracked or something was chipped off how else could it be damaged inside the envelope? I'd inspect the sticks and see if you can spot anything for sure.

I bought Patriot Extreme Performance 2x1GB kit x2 about 6 months ago. One of the kits were doa, so I was stuck with 2GB for 2 weeks. Got my new kit back, that was DOA also, waited another 2 weeks. Received kit, worked as intended.

I purchased from ClubIT. I doubt i'll buy Patriot anymore though. Their CS team was nice though but they don't offer an express warranty. Thankfully ClubIT took the item in return even though it was beyond their return policy. (I had purchased the kits ahead of time of building the system).

Newegg seems to be hit and miss on packaging sometimes. I bought two, 2x2gb dominator kits from them a few weeks apart. One came in an appropriately sized box filled with penuts and the ram in it's original clam shell, the other in a box barely lage enough to squeeze the original clam shell package into. Both kits did and do still work however.

Back