Upgrading to 2GB, can't decide on RAM.

3-Phase

Limp Gawd
it all depends on how high the fsb you are thinking to run on and what is your cpu, psu and board.

Onepagebook said:
it all depends on how high the fsb you are thinking to run on and what is your cpu, psu and board.
Look at his sig, moron :p

The G.Skill that I listed is really nice RAM. I've personally seen it go past 280+ FSB.

Well I don't know if I want to overclock. Assuming I would in the future, what would be the best to RAM out of the ones I listed?

I am also looking for low timings. 2-3-2-5 is the lowest I have found for 2x 1GB. The G.skill that bLaCktIGErs91 is PC4000. I am only looking for PC3200.

3-Phase said:
Well I don't know if I want to overclock. Assuming I would in the future, what would be the best to RAM out of the ones I listed?

I am also looking for low timings. 2-3-2-5 is the lowest I have found for 2x 1GB. The G.skill that bLaCktIGErs91 is PC4000. I am only looking for PC3200.
PC4000 will work in a PC3200 System. No Problem there. Leaves you more room to OC in the future. That's just the nicest (2x1GB) Ram I've seen. If you loof in the RAM forum, theres about 3 threads about your problem on the first page. Get the G.Skill, you WONT be disappointed.

The G.Skill's timings are 3-4-4-8. If I ran them at PC3200, would I be able to put the timings at 2-3-2-5?

3-Phase said:
The G.Skill's timings are 3-4-4-8. If I ran them at PC3200, would I be able to put the timings at 2-3-2-5?
You could probably get damned close. I've seen it go to 2-3-2-6.....But I know if you tweaked it right, you could go lower.

bLaCktIGErs91 said:
You could probably get damned close. I've seen it go to 2-3-2-6.....But I know if you tweaked it right, you could go lower.

Right now I don't really want to mess around with having to tweak my RAM to get it at 2-3-2-6. I just want to put it in and have it work at the rated timings. Unless it is as simple as making the DRAM clock 200MHz and changing the timings to 2-3-2-6 @ 2.6-2.8V, then I don't want to get the PC4000 RAM.

I know absolutely nothing about overclocking.

If you had to choose the 2x 1GB PC3200 sticks, which would you choose?

I would choose the OCZ that are in you're first post. But keep in mind....

If you ever have a CPU with a FSB over 200Mhz, the RAM will have to be OC'ed (if PC3200).

3-Phase said:
Right now I don't really want to mess around with having to tweak my RAM to get it at 2-3-2-6. I just want to put it in and have it work at the rated timings. Unless it is as simple as making the DRAM clock 200MHz and changing the timings to 2-3-2-6 @ 2.6-2.8V, then I don't want to get the PC4000 RAM.

I know absolutely nothing about overclocking.

If you had to choose the 2x 1GB PC3200 sticks, which would you choose?

I thought you were going to overclock?

Anyway, here's the best 2x1GB DDR400 kit. The G.Skill ZX.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231032

bLaCktIGErs91 said:

If you ever have a CPU with a FSB over 200Mhz, the RAM will have to be OC'ed (if PC3200).
Not if you use a mem divider.....

:p

DejaWiz said:
Not if you use a mem divider.....

:p
lol I know that, but he has already admitted to know nothing about OC'ing. I reccomended that because its more or less, futureproof. It's ALLL up to him though.

bLaCktIGErs91 said:

My current RAM is PC3200, and I didn't have to overclock it. CPUZ says that my HTT is 200.9Mhz. I think HTT means FSB......

I just want to know if all I'd have to do to run the PC4000 G.Skill HZ at PC3200 is simply change the timings to 2-3-2-5 and have the FSB set at 200MHz. If there is any chance of there being complicated issues with doing this, then I will just get the PC3200 OCZ.

3-Phase said:
My current RAM is PC3200, and I didn't have to overclock it. CPUZ says that my HTT is 200.9Mhz. I think HTT means FSB......

I just want to know if all I'd have to do to run the PC4000 G.Skill HZ at PC3200 is simply change the timings to 2-3-2-5 and have the FSB set at 200MHz. If there is any chance of there being complicated issues with doing this, then I will just get the PC3200 OCZ.
Higher MHz will actually yield way more performance than tighter RAM settings will because memory bandwidth will be increased. I'd run the new memory at it's PC4000 spec instead of PC3200.

DejaWiz said:
Higher MHz will actually yield way more performance than tighter RAM settings will because memory bandwidth will be increased. I'd run the new memory at it's PC4000 spec instead of PC3200.
QFT..... Get the PC4000 G.Skill.....Its timings aren't HORRIBLE. Runs faster than PC3200 as well.

Up to you...its your $$$ :/

If you're going to overclock that 3700+ with the PC4000 installed, here's what will happen ideally:

Multiplier: locked at 11 (but you can set it lower).
FSB/HTT: 250 MHz (Set in BIOS).
HTT Link Multiplier: 3x should do fine. Don't go above 1000 Mhz (3 * 250 = 750 MHz). This will not hinder performance, as you do not have a multi socket motherboard.
Final CPU Speed: 2750 MHz (250 * 11) if this is too much, then drop the FSB multiplier down to 10 or 9. Your DFI board should be able to handle this FSB speed with flying colors.
Mem Divider in BIOS: 200 MHz (1:1 ratio).
Memory Speed: 250 MHz (PC4000, or 4GB/sec bandwidth).

DejaWiz said:
If you're going to overclock that 3700+ with the PC4000 installed, here's what will happen ideally:

Multiplier: locked at 11 (but you can set it lower).
FSB/HTT: 250 MHz (Set in BIOS).
HTT Link Multiplier: 3x should do fine. Don't go above 1000 Mhz (3 * 250 = 750 MHz). This will not hinder performance, as you do not have a multi socket motherboard.
Final CPU Speed: 2750 MHz (250 * 11) if this is too much, then drop the FSB multiplier down to 10 or 9. Your DFI board should be able to handle this FSB speed with flying colors.
Mem Divider in BIOS: 200 MHz (1:1 ratio).
Memory Speed: 250 MHz (PC4000, or 4GB/sec bandwidth).

So if I use the PC4000 at its normal speed (250 MHz) that means that I must overclock the CPU?

Can you just overclock the memory and leave the CPU alone?

Nope, you'll have to increase the CPU FSB to attain a higher memory speed. OC'ing your cpu will do it no harm if you leave it at stock voltage.

Example: I have a Venice 3000+ clocked at 267 fsb with a multiplier of 9.

Stock MHz: 1800.
New MHz: 2400.
Mem Divider in BIOS: 150MHz (3:4).
New Mem Speed: 200MHz (I'm only running 4x512MB cheap PC3200 value RAM).

Here's how the equation works out:

First, you'll need to gather basic data:
1.) Multiplier: 9
2.) FSB: 267
3.) Mem Divider in BIOS: 3:4 (or 3 /4 = 0.75)
4.) HTT Link Multiplier: 3 (3 * 267 = 801 MHz ...well below the 1000Mhz cap)

Next, divide the cpu multiplier by the mem divider.
5.) So, 9 / 0.75 = 12 (if this numer results in a decimal, you'll have to round up).

Calculate your final CPU speed by multiplying the FSB speed by the CPU multiplier.
6.) 267 * 9 = 2403

Finally, take your final CPU speed and divide it by the result from step 4. This will tell you how fast your memory will be running at.
7.) 2403 / 12 = 200.25 (round up to be safe)

Venice and San Diego factory Vcore specs are from 1.35 to 1.4 volts. I have mine set to 1.375, which is doing zero in terms of overvolt stress.

If you are able to successfully oc your San Diego using factory Vcore settings, you won't have to worry about decreasing the longevity of your cpu.

You can get that RAM, and leave it alone. Your CPU does NOT, I repeat DOES NOT have to match your memory Speed. You memory could be at 250Mhz, CPU @ 200Mhz, and no harm done. The memory comes stock at 250, so leave it at that, its already higher than your CPU.

I Have: Athlon XP 1700+ Running at 150FSB
1GB PC3200 Running at 200Mhz.

No Harm Done.

bLaCktIGErs91 said:
You can get that RAM, and leave it alone. Your CPU does NOT, I repeat DOES NOT have to match your memory Speed. You memory could be at 250Mhz, CPU @ 200Mhz, and no harm done. The memory comes stock at 250, so leave it at that, its already higher than your CPU.

I Have: Athlon XP 1700+ Running at 150FSB
1GB PC3200 Running at 200Mhz.

No Harm Done.
It's different with an A64 plaform.

Max divider setting is 1:1. So if the CPU FSB is set to 200MHz stock, then the memory will operate at 200MHz (PC3200). You can't set the memory divider speed above 200MHz. The only way to run the memory faster than this is to increase the CPU FSB using a ratio that will raise the final memory speed above 200MHz.

In my previous example, 250MHz CPU FSB, 200MHz memory divider speed (1:1 ratio).

That equals 250 CPU FSB, 250 Memory because of the 1:1 speed ratio.

Well yea. I was just pointing out the fact that you DO NOT have to OC your CPU to keep up with your memory. You can always slow down your memory if you don't like OCing.

Right?

bLaCktIGErs91 said:
Well yea. I was just pointing out the fact that you DO NOT have to OC your CPU to keep up with your memory. You can always slow down your memory if you don't like OCing.

Right?
Absolutely. See my previous example given for my very own computer. 267 CPU FSB, 150MHz Memory Divider. Memory final speed equals 200MHz.

DejaWiz said:
Absolutely. See my previous example given for my very own computer. 267 CPU FSB, 150MHz Memory Divider. Memory final speed equals 200MHz.
OK. The OP seems REALLY confused about all this. I was just trying to show him an example that did not involve ANY sort of OC'ing.

With new motherboards, you can also use the 5:4 divider to run your memory at a higher speed than your FSB.

Ex. A64 3700+
200x11 = 2200MHz
200x5/4 = 250MHz

So CPU will be 2.2GHz (stock) and RAM will be 250MHz (stock). And everyone's happy :)

Bona Fide said:
With new motherboards, you can also use the 5:4 divider to run your memory at a higher speed than your FSB.

Ex. A64 3700+
200x11 = 2200MHz
200x5/4 = 250MHz

So CPU will be 2.2GHz (stock) and RAM will be 250MHz (stock). And everyone's happy :)
Now this I was not aware of! Good ole DFI....

Thanks for that info DejaWiz. Yeah, the main thing I was worried about was having to mess around with voltage settings to get everything to work.

Damn, now I am more tempted to just get the PC4000 RAM and OC stuff. I just don't want to screw something up. :D

3-Phase said:
Thanks for that info DejaWiz. Yeah, the main thing I was worried about was having to mess around with voltage settings to get everything to work.

Damn, now I am more tempted to just get the PC4000 RAM and OC stuff. I just don't want to screw something up. :D
Read through all the guides on here. It's fool-proof (kinda). You can OC something VERY easily now-a-days. Take your time, tough.

You ARE going to get the G.Skill that I reccomended, right?

3-Phase said:

Well with Bona Fide's info regarding the new 5:4 ratio, make sure your DFI board is updated to the latest BIOS revision and check and see if it's there.

My Gigabyte board doesn't support it. Although I'm not running the newest BIOS release because the layout is different from my current one and some options have been added while others removed.

bLaCktIGErs91 said:
Read through all the guides on here. It's fool-proof (kinda). You can OC something VERY easily now-a-days. Take your time, tough.

You ARE going to get the G.Skill that I reccomended, right?

If I decide to OC, yes.

Back