Upgrading to 1440p, Which GPU?

True. If you are buying a new monitor as well, you can save several hundred dollars going AMD and FreeSync.

Reactions: noko
like this
True. If you are buying a new monitor as well, you can save several hundred dollars going AMD and FreeSync.

Personally I’m still running a 980. I have a pair of 4K Dells that I am running with it now - for me it’s acceptable. I use it mostly for work, but when I do game I Have to turn down from Ultra to High for most of the games I play, and those tend to be MMOs/RPGs I don’t notice if they dip down to <60fps (<30 is very noticeable though)

My next GPU upgrade will coincide with a big monitor upgrade. I’m holding out for 4K, VRR, HDR, and 75+Hz. A lot of boxes to tick and nothing does it that’s remotely close to what I’m willing to invest.

But my GPU purchase at the time will be determined by the monitor.

Thanks for all the replies. Still on the fence.

PUB G is pretty much the only game a play. I have a couple of other no name indies that I play when I need a break from PUB. I won't be doing any VRR. I guess used is the best option. I will look for black friday but I do not see and not expecting many deals. I do see a 1070 deal on new egg but idk.

Maybe used 1080 TI for now then get the monitor for the new year as I do get some Amazon credit Jan 1.

GTX 1080 or 2070 are great cards for 1440p. I can't find the 2070 for any less than $550 new. But you can get a second hand 1080 for $350 easily. That would be my recommendation if you value price/performance. 10% better performance from the 2070 doesn't justify a 57% price increase over the very solid GTX 1080.

And yes I run a 1440p monitor so I speak from experience, the 1080 rocks games at this resolution with ample power. :)

GTX 1080 or 2070 are great cards for 1440p. I can't find the 2070 for any less than $550 new. But you can get a second hand 1080 for $350 easily. That would be my recommendation if you value price/performance. 10% better performance from the 2070 doesn't justify a 57% price increase over the very solid GTX 1080.

And yes I run a 1440p monitor so I speak from experience, the 1080 rocks games at this resolution with ample power. :)
newegg has the 2070 for $500

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...tion=rtx 2070&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=36

newegg's ebay has them for $500 as well.

still though I think its better to get a used 1080 ti for $500 rather than a 2070. as long as its from a manufacturer that has warranty tied to the card and not the original purchaser. evga and msi are the only two I know.

Last edited:
newegg has the 2070 for $500

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=-1&IsNodeId=1&Description=rtx 2070&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=36

newegg's ebay has them for $500 as well.

still though I think its better to get a used 1080 ti for $500 rather than a 2070. as long as its from a manufacturer that has warranty tied to the card and not the original purchaser. evga and msi are the only two I know.

I got one off a standard seller. All I had to do was replace the TIM and it was good to go. It had overheating issues prior, but replacing the TIM simply got it up and running better than ever. Seriously, I went from operating temps that crashed the card (100c) to now I sit at (55c) during Furmark.

Honestly, I mean, I think people should buy from what they are comfortable with. However, I would say at the bare minimum make sure you have some sort of purchasing protection.

1080ti for the price + ability to push a 1440p 144Hz monitor hardest with settings maxed, and give the option of DSR for AA.
That’s exactly what I just did. Waiting on the monitor to arrive.

Back