Upgrading the hdd in a g4 ibook?

qpid

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm getitng a new (refurb) ibook saturday! <joy>

Now I know trying to upgrade it myself will void the warranty but how hard is it to upgrade the hd, my refurb is coming with a 30gb and at my job i can get a brand new seagate 100gb for $150, not sure of the height yet, i'll do my looking tomorrow. I cannot find any sites with step my step pictures for the upgrade for the g4 ibook, only the dual usb and colors

I saw a site recently that someone posted over on the apple discussion forums that had step-by-step instructions with pics for just about every mac out. And I seem to have been on my gfs computer at the time because the bookmark isnt on this one :(

Pop over there and ask for it.

I didn't think they were building 100Gig 2.5"x12mm drives....I thought 80Gig was the max right now...as for putting it in have fun and try not to break anything...you won't be happy with what it costs to fix it

ibook take apart
that's a link to a french site that took apart a 12" G4 Ibook. I used it to put in a hitachi E7K60 drive into my 12" G4 800mhz ibook. From my experience it's pretty difficult to change the drive without any damage to the laptop. I have a couple scratches and one piece of a plastic clip worth of damage to my ibook. Thankfully though it's only cosmetic.

gl with your upgrade!

you sure this is a wise thing to do?

if you personally do it you will lose your year long warranty and applecare if you happened to buy it.

how about a 2.5 firewire enclosure? its a good backup anyway, you can always swap 2.5s with the enclosure.

Back