Upgrading storage question

threejean

n00b
Joined
Feb 3, 2005
Messages
12
Hey folks,
I am thinking of upgrading the storage system on my PC:
Athlon II 240, ASRock SATA II board, 1TB WD Green. 2x2 GB RAM. My Windoze 7 installation is getting a bit flaky and in need of a re-install. My thought is to replace the 1 TB drive (which is almost full) with a Crucial M500 SSD (120 or 240) and a WD Red 3TB. Do I have to upgrade to SATA III or will I still see performance gains using my old board (not a gamer)?
Thanks!
 
The AMD controller with SSD isn't great. But it will still be a night and day difference compared to the 1TB. Your max speed would probably be around 130 meg/second. Moving to an intel board will be much better, and getting a new intel board will let the SSD run at full speed. Just stay with your CPU/Mobo for now, and just wait to upgrade that when it's time.

On a second note, do you really need a WD Red drive? The price premium on a red drive is rather high, do you have justification to need it?
 
Thanks for the response. I picked the WD Red because I'm storing 800+ GB of live music that I cannot afford to lose (I do have back ups on external drives). Longevity is the .goal.
 
Thanks for the response. I picked the WD Red because I'm storing 800+ GB of live music that I cannot afford to lose (I do have back ups on external drives). Longevity is the .goal.

Then don't go red, they're only intended for home NAS applications where redundancy is used, not for a single drive scenario.

Better to go with another green and keep the backups in place.
 
Yes, if you can't afford to loose that data, it's better to just introduce additional drives instead of buying 1 "enterprise" drives. Plenty of statistics from data centers showing that enterprise drives are no better then regular drives in reliability. I have two 5 year old 1TB WD Greens that still work without issues. Just remember to back it up.
 
Back
Top