• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Upgrading SSD - Clone or Just Add Space

AudioCow

Gawd
Joined
Jul 30, 2003
Messages
524
Looking for some random opinions. I currently have a Crucial M4 128GB SSD that has Windows 8.1 installed along with other miscellaneous programs. I keep all of my games and media on a Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB HDD. I'm purchasing a Samsung 840 EVO 750GB SSD so that I can move my games from the HDD to an SSD.

My understanding is that the Samsung drive is quite a bit faster that the Crucial drive. Is it worth cloning my current SSD to the Samsung? Or should I just add the Samsung as a new drive and leave windows and programs on the Crucial drive? Would I ever notice a difference?

This PC serves 3 purposes: Gaming, media server, and light web browsing.
 
The Samsung is faster, I'd put clone and keep it all on the faster drive. Sell the Crucial.

If something happens to the Sammy, you're out the OS and games, but you'd be out the games if installed on a 2nd drive anyway.

Plus, this way you don't have to worry about making sure you're always changing "Save to C:\" to D or whatever when installing or downloading.

Edit: Amazon just texted me that my 840 EVO 256 is on my doorstep ;) I only use my machine for gaming, and usually only 1 or 2 games at a time so I went with the 256 to have room for everything. Music is on a 640 WD Green or the NAS.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top