upgrading server 2k3 to 2k8, two servers

f1y

Supreme [H]ardness
Purchased a new server. Want to carry over DHCP/DNS/DC/SHARES roles from current domain controller to new 2008

it's a small <20 users server.

Is there a solid way to transfer Active Directory and Shares and such?

Maybe image over 2k3 to the 2008 server, and upgrade to 2008?

what kind of commands are needed to prep the AD enviroment too? Offline files as well?

The best way is to install the AD/DHCP/DNS/other roles on the new 2008 server.

-adprep, domainprep, and forestprep the 2003 server.

-DCpromo the 2008 server and add it as a new DC in an existing domain. Make it a GC server.

-Transfer all FSMO roles from 2003 to 2008.

-Promote the forest, and domain to 2008 level

-Use Xcopy, Robocopy, or whatever your favorite file migration tool is (I suggest these two as they have the ability to carry over permissions, useful for domain environments).

-Once your files are in place use net share to create the shares and set permissions (I recommend scripting this, and a simple .cmd or .bat script will do).

Once you have completed all these tasks do dcpromo on the 2003 server to remove it as a DC and from the domain (Check the 2008 ADSI to make sure it is really gone), then do a fresh install of 2008 with the AD role, again do dcpromo and make it a DC with a GC.

That is pretty much the way I migrate domains for upgrade.

MS has many articles on how to transfer AD domains to new hardware, you should really get one of these and follow it to a T, if you do that, it normally goes smoothly

Sounds simple enough, but I can't find a MS article on the task

You're the man, man!

Also, one more question. Do I have to name the new DC something different and re-add all the PCs to the domain?

You will have to name the new DC different then your old DC (so if old DC was CompanyDC01 then the new one will have to be CompanyDC02).

You will not need to rejoin PCs to the domain.

Better be 2008 R2 or it isn't worth the upgrade IMO.

2003 to 2008 is definitely worth the upgrade. R2 is definitely and even better upgrade, however 08 brought many features that I am now considering critical.

2003 to 2008 / 2008R2 domain functionality is basically the same

Back