Upgrading ram

Fel

Limp Gawd
So before i drop what little money i have on memory i was wondering what the best deal for $20 would be? Any ddr2 ram will suffice correct?

You will probably need about $30 for that unless you look used. DDR2 is not being produced in large quantities any more. And make sure you get ram that is the same voltage as your current ram and preferable the same speed.

What are the consequences of getting ram that isnt the same voltage/speed? Thanks

F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ is what i have want to get these F2-6400CL4D-2GBHK

What are the consequences of getting ram that isnt the same voltage/speed? Thanks

F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ is what i have want to get these F2-6400CL4D-2GBHK

It probably won't run at all in your computer with the older ram. Normally it won't even boot, unless all the ram is matched, it probably won't cause any lasting harm, but it won't run. To run on multiple channels, usually matches pairs are required.

Also since you have only 2 GB of ram now you may still have a 32 bit windows OS. Remember that with a 32 bit OS you will not really be able to fully use 4GB of ram. The maximum usable ram in 32 bit windows should be somewhere between 2.5 to 3.5 GB depending on how your motherboard and cards map around the 4GB of total address space.

Windows 7 32 bit can use 4 gb right? I messaged the guy wanting to sell me the ram i linked earlier and he said if i change voltage/timings i should be set. this correct?

The ram is quite cheap now.
I remember that the old ram 512M I used first is more expensive than 4GB I use now.R4

Last edited:
Windows 7 32 bit can use 4 gb right? I messaged the guy wanting to sell me the ram i linked earlier and he said if i change voltage/timings i should be set. this correct?

It can only address 4GB.. that includes the video card ram and any ROM. Yo will see in between 2.5-3.5GB.

If you have a video card with 2GB of RAM on it, you probably won't even see 2GB of system RAM on Win7 32-bit.

He has a 5770, which most likely has 1gb RAM.

Whether or not you can adjust the timings is entirely up to your motherboard and CPU. As stated above, it can simply decide just to not boot, at which point you cannot adjust the timings.

The ram is quite cheap now.
I remember that the old ram 512M I used first is more expensive than 4GB I use now.

DDR3 RAM is cheap. Not DDR2.

He has a 5770, which most likely has 1gb RAM.

Ahhh.. missed that.

In that case, I would recommend downloading a Win7 x64 ISO, burn it, back up any needed files, and then do a wipe and install of Win7 x64.

Vista and Win7 keys are the same for 32 and 64-bit versions of the OS.

Back