• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Upgrading Ram getting strange result

the big guy

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 28, 2002
Messages
338
Trying to upgrade ram from 1gb to 2gb using 2-1gb sticks of Rendition pc-2 5300 ram on a hp dv6400 laptop.

The laptop is AMD Turion Dual 64x2 mobile at 1.6 ghz, running Vista 32 bit and the main issue is when installing the new RAM, the computer becomes unstable and will go to BSOD at times.

I downloaded CPU-Z, after looking up this issue on here and here is where my problem seems to lie.



When the new RAM is installed...for whatever reason the DRAM Frequency is alternating between 321.5 MHz and 160.7 MHz. This was not happening on the original RAM, so that is what seems to be the problem.



Is there a setting or something that needs to be setup?



http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148238&cm_re=1gb_ddr2_pc2-5300-_-20-148-238... This is the Ram I purchased. Any help would be greatly appreciated....thanks
 
you might want to go in the bios and set the memory to a supported frequency + voltage. the frequency shifting you are seeing sounds like a cpu power saving feature that is turning on, not necessarily abnormal. Anyway probably some other people have more experience with these.
 
Interesting thought--it is a laptop and I never really fooled around upgrading one before, I only have done things in past with desktops. I am so rusty, haven't done anything computer related in a good 5-6 years now and am hopelessly out of date.

I did run memtest86 and the Ram passes with no errors and I haven't BSOD in a while, but want to make sure all is ok before I give this back to my friend.
 
Back
Top