• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Upgrading question need help quick question

piscian18

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Jul 26, 2005
Messages
11,020
My setups in the sig.

Ok the Socket 775 quadcores are getting to be around 130-200$. but the I7 920 is getting down to 230-250$ maybe even 200$ soon.

I play every game out, but I also do a crapload of Winrar and quickpar everyday as well as watching a lot of Bluray MKV's 10-25GB.

I'm starting to see some slowdown here and there and my machine locked up while playing Manhunt and unpacking a large Rar 5GB or so lastnight.

I'm still XP32bit Should I jump up to W7, 8GB ram, and maybe a 9 series Quadcore for just save a bit and spring for an I7? Just wondering quadcore will get me by for another year or not.
 
My setups in the sig.

Ok the Socket 775 quadcores are getting to be around 130-200$. but the I7 920 is getting down to 230-250$ maybe even 200$ soon.

I play every game out, but I also do a crapload of Winrar and quickpar everyday as well as watching a lot of Bluray MKV's 10-25GB.

I'm starting to see some slowdown here and there and my machine locked up while playing Manhunt and unpacking a large Rar 5GB or so lastnight.

I'm still XP32bit Should I jump up to W7, 8GB ram, and maybe a 9 series Quadcore for just save a bit and spring for an I7? Just wondering quadcore will get me by for another year or not.

Extracting a rar does not need allot of CPU power, Mine hits about 10% max, however it will max out your HDD, which is what it sounds like to me. If you want faster extracts do it from HDD to HDD, so it only has to read from one and write to the other, mine maxes out at 90MB/s and a max of 10% CPU. If that's still not fast enough, look into SSD's, but they are going to fill up fast with 10-25GB files. :p

Also, HD should be no problem for that chip.
 
Your motherboard uses the 680i chipset which does not officially support 45nm Core 2 Quad CPUs. Since you'd need a new motherboard as well, I would just go with an i5 or i7 setup in your situation if you're willing to wait until you can save up enough cash.
 
It depends on how tight your budget is and what the difference in price will be between the two. If you're just looking to get by for another year or so, then a smart (and relatively less expensive) choice would probably be to just get a Q9550 and a P45 motherboard. That way you don't have to spend money on a new X58 motherboard and DDR3. Also, I would strongly suggest a 64-bit OS so you can use your full 4GB. If that's not enough, then consider upgrading to 6-8GB.
 
Your motherboard uses the 680i chipset which does not officially support 45nm Core 2 Quad CPUs. Since you'd need a new motherboard as well, I would just go with an i5 or i7 setup in your situation if you're willing to wait until you can save up enough cash.

Shoot I didnt see that. Mine supports Q6700, but thats it. If its support Q6700 (I have the latest bios now) does that means its gonna support a Q9550 or is there a big difference?


It depends on how tight your budget is and what the difference in price will be between the two. If you're just looking to get by for another year or so, then a smart (and relatively less expensive) choice would probably be to just get a Q9550 and a P45 motherboard. That way you don't have to spend money on a new X58 motherboard and DDR3. Also, I would strongly suggest a 64-bit OS so you can use your full 4GB. If that's not enough, then consider upgrading to 6-8GB.


I have a Foxconn P45 ELA. Will that be good enough?
 
Shoot I didnt see that. Mine supports Q6700, but thats it. If its support Q6700 (I have the latest bios now) does that means its gonna support a Q9550 or is there a big difference?
There is enough of a difference that the 680i chipset supports 65nm quads but not 45nm.
 
Yeah, stick with just a Q9550. That will get you by for several years, not just one.

i7's rock, but it's going to be a serious hit to your wallet for the full upgrade (mobo, cpu, ram)
 
Back
Top