• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Upgrading processor

cobramonkey

2[H]4U
Joined
Apr 16, 2007
Messages
2,595
Ok, I've got a 2.5 year old Dell, and I want to replace the processor in it. I've had a small amount of experience replacing stuff, and just simply want to get it exactly right, so I want the experts help (you tech heads) in not fubaring this. My processor currently is Intel Core2 CPU 4300 @ 1.80GHz. Obviously a very weak point for me. I've put in 2 extra gigs of ram bringing it up to 4 total, and put a newer 9800 nvidia gt 500 Mb. So just want to finish off bringing my computer a little bit more up to speed. Have Windows 7 32 bit. And I don't know the specs on my motherboard, but I assume that if I just get the same series of processor as what I currently have, I'm fine. I was looking at newegg for ideas, and was wandering if I am looking at the right thing here. All help appreciated :)
 
Download the CPUZ utility and tell us what it says about your motherboard.

http://www.cpuid.com/download/cpuz/cpuz_152_setup.exe

Potential upgrading limitations are 45nm support in your bios and the FSB your motherboard can handle.

If it is something like a G965 chipset then you might be limited to 65nm chips and/or a max of 1066 FSB depending on the motherboard. If it is something newer like a G31 or G41 then you should be fine upgrading to just about any chip.
 
Info on motherboard:

Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
Model: 0CT017
Chipset: Intel P965/G965 Rev. C2
Southbridge: Intel 82801HH (ICH8DH)
LPCI0: SMSC SMSC

BIOS
Brand: Dell Inc.
Version: 2.5.3
Date: 11/22/2007

Graphic Interface
Version: PCI-Express
Link Width: x16 Max. Supported: x16
 
Get a Q6600 and be done with it. Those Celeron's would probably work but not likely if your motherboard is limited to 65nm CPUs. You could also get an E6xxx series C2D but I am not sure of how much of an upgrade that would be. You can find Q6600s and E6xxx CPUs in the FS/T section since Intel does not make those anymore.

You could also check Dell's Web site to see what CPUs that motherboard supports...
 
The E1500 and E1600 are both 65nm CPUs and should work on your board. They have higher MHz than what you have now but Intel reduced the amount of on chip L2 cache memory on these CPUs down to 512KB (0.5MB). That can hurt performance in gaming.

Some motherboards with the P965 chipset work really well with the newer 45nm Dual Core CPUs but not all motherboards have an updated bios to support these. As Atl530i said, check the Dell website for compatibility.

A 65nm E6600 or Q6600 would be your best bet though. Your board should support either of these without a bios update. The E6600 has 4 MB of L2 cache and the Q6600 Quad is basically two E6600 CPUs under the same heat spreader. A Quad might be more than you're looking to spend on your upgrade.

For the price of a Celeron you could probably twist my arm and I'd sell you my E6600. Send me a PM if you're interested.

http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SL9S8
 
I missed those E1xxx Celerons, lol. Those may work, but I would not get one...not really an upgrade IMHO. The E4xxx C2Ds have 2MB L2 cache. :)
 
The heatspreader on this chip wasn't very flat when I got it.
Now it is. :D

e6600sl9s8.png


This one runs a little hot when pushed hard but it has plenty of headroom.

superpi3560mhz.png


When not overclocking with Speedstep enabled, it's very cool at idle.

idletemp.png


A 65nm Celeron isn't in the same league as these early E6600 CPUs. At default voltage on a good board, this CPU has no problem running Prime stable at 9 x 333 MHz ~ 3000 MHz.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top