Upgrading PC.. only 1 IDE connection? Do Sata Adapters work?

PhReaK

n00b
My current PC is a A643000+, DFI Lanparty NF3, 6800GT, 1 gig corsair DDR ram... Im ITCHING to upgrade (and taxes are coming back in another 2 weeks :D)

My problem is, I currently have 3 harddrives and an IDE DVD-RW
an 80gig Seagate IDE (Im pretty sure I'll upgrade to a Raptor or something for this one),
a 400gig Seagate IDE,
a 500gig Seagate IDE,
and a 16X NEC DVD+-RW (spending ~$30 on a new SATA ones no big deal)

I dont want to do anything with the 400 and 500 drives because they are allready almost full and I wouldn't have anywhere to put the stuff I'm storing currently...

Im thinking of upgrading to this motherboard (which only has 1 IDE connection, just like every other board I've looked at thats been made in the last year or so)

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L

My question is, Do any of the IDE to SATA adapters work -WELL-?
Can you recommend me a cheap but good IDE card?

Im trying NOT to upgrade my drives now, at least till we get that Tax Rebate this summer... if you can recommend me something I would be grateful!

I'd do the upgrades you mentioned, and then the problem will be solved. Get a Raptor (or another cheaper, larger drive) and the SATA burner, which I would also highly recommend the Samsung line. Then you can still keep and use your two large IDE drives.

I have a few different models of sata adapters. All work fine with hard drives. Just be careful NOT to nudge them while on. I killed a drive like this once.

Good point as well. I think I have a stack of them sitting in a box at home.

Thanks for the info guys..

Can any of you recommend a good IDE to SATA adapter (brand, model, ect..) and also can you point me in the right direction of a good PCI IDE card?

If you want an IDE card, let me know. I have several, and I'll send you one.

Back