Upgrading PC for Dell 2209WA Monitor Please Help

edvb

Weaksauce
Hi All

I have a older PC using the following. It all works well but I pulled the trigger on a Dell 2209WA monitor and will need to upgrade my video card anyway. I do some CAD and a lot of internet browsing. I will also do some flight simulator games and use Microsoft office a lot.

Using any of the hardware I have now what do you think is the best way to go for the buck.

Thanks for any help on this as I have been away from the latest changes in hardware we have today. I do not need the cutting edge of technology but just the best value for the money. I would rather stay at $500 or less. Thanks

Coolcases modified Chenbro Genie SR104 case

Asus P4P800 Deluxe motherboard

Intel P4 3.2 CPU

ZALMAN CNPS7700-ALCU 120mm 2 Ball CPU Cooling Fan

ATI All-in-Wonder 9600XT Video card

Seagate 18g 10.000 RPM SCSI hard drive
2 each Seagate 5g 5400RPM SCSI Hard drives

Maxtor 32X SCSI CD-RW

Maxtor 40X SCSI CD-ROM

Pioneer 16X SCSI DVD-ROM

Adaptec AHA-2940 Ultra SCSI Controller Card

Sound Blaster Live audio card

... what lt_shiro said.

btw, you can get a lot, relatively speaking, for those old s478 parts on ebay or the fs/t forum -- this should help offset the cost of the upgrade.

lt_shiro & enginurd

Thanks for the reply. Here is an updated version of what I need. It is funny that I have five laptops and three PC's to do my job working with Wonderware and PLC's but they are never at the cutting edge of performance. I just have a DSL connection and do not plan to change it so can you rethink within the revised budget what will stay current for a while and give me the applications I need this PC to do.

All

Any deals and rebates going on in July would be great but all parts need to match performance or greater depending on the price.

Thanks all for helping me out. I was a member a long time ago and things have not changed at this forum as "find the best and hell of the rest" motto I swear by still exsists.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? Etc
Flight Simulator for gaming, Photoshop, Office, Web browsing, Itunes. CAD. HDTV

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
$500-$750

3) Where do you live?
Oshkosh,WI 54901

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. Please be very
specific.
Case,Power Supply, CPU, Motherboard, Memory, Hard Drive, DVD Drive, Video card, Sound card unless built in, HD Tuner No Recording as I have a Dish DVR Pal to take care of that. Intel CPU worked better back then but AMD is fine so long everything works well and is balanced in performance and reliability.

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
None. I will sell my old system as is since it works well. My Keyboard,Mouse and Monitor are black so a black case is preferred.

6) Will you be overclocking?
No, But I want a fast machine that does multitasking well.

7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
New Dell 2209WA
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Now

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI
support? etc.
None

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license?
Yes Vista or XP at this time.

Last edited:
I suggest the following:
$210 (FS) - AMD Phenom II X4 940 Processor
____ - BIOSTAR TA790GXB 790GX Motherboard
$45 (FS) ($10MIR) - OCZ 2X2GB Reaper HPC Edition DDR2-800 RAM
$111 - (FS) (Coupon FIREWORKS15) - Sapphire Radeon HD 4870 512MB Video Card
$79 (FS) ($10MIR) - Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.B 1TB 16MB Buffer Hard Drive
$31 - Sony Optiarc Black 24X SATA DVD/CD Rewritable Drive - OEM
$79 - CoolerMaster Storm Scout Gaming Case
$79 (FS) - ANTEC EarthWatts 650W PSU
-------------------------------------------