Upgrading OS, help me to decide and how to proceed

TheLostOne

n00b
Hello friends

I am running a 32bit XP Pro with SP3. As I use lot of graphics programs, I was wondering whether it would be prudent to upgrade to a 64bit version, and if yes, to XP 64bit or Win7 64bit. Please note I have been using this installation of XP for last 5 years or so. Regarding this, please clear my following doubts.

1. I have about 3GB of RAM (planning to add more as graphics editing programs are very much RAM intensive). So will a 64bit OS operate better than a 32bit? And shall the programs run faster?

. In case of upgrading to 64bit, will XP PRo 64bit a better choice or Windows 7 64bit?

3. Can I transfer my settings from my present system to the new one? Mainly I am worried about the Browser (Firefox and Chrome). I can not afford to loose the settings.

4. In case some programs do not have 64bit versions available (I use some free programs which do not offer 64bit) can I still use the 32bit version?

5. I have heard that Win gradually takes up space on the installation partition. Is that true? If yes, is there any solution to this?

6. If it is better to upgrade to 32bit XP to 64bit Win7 or XP, please let me know how exactly should I proceed. Sadly I can not afford to loose much time over setting up my system. I would like to upgrade via the least hassle free way (preferably without a clean install, unless that is absolutely necessary).

Thank you.

64bit OS allows you to utilize more than 3.5gb of RAM. 32bit caps you at 3.5 gb of RAM, so if you stay with a 32bit OS, your RAM upgrade will be pretty much useless. No, programs will usually not benefit speed-wise from a 32-bit vs 64-bit OS as long as everything else remains the same and the programs are not RAM-limited.

Many programs might not be compatible with 64-bit Windows XP, while there's a higher likelihood of being compatible with 64-bit Windows 7. You need to check with the specific programs you use to ensure compatibility.

Programs compiled only for 32-bit systems will not install on a 64-bit OS. Many are compiled for both 32-bit and 64-bit, but if it's 32-bit specific, it cannot run on a 64-bit OS.

Firefox and Chrome have these nifty features called cloud sync, which you can use to sync settings, bookmarks, etc with their cloud servers. For Firefox, you definitely need a second computer to sync up with first, because sync requires an authorization code from a computer that's already synced.

I'm not sure about XP 32-bit to XP 64-bit, but XP to Windows 7 will definitely require a clean installation. There's no way around this.

Honestly, Vista 64-bit was better than XP 64-bit. Perhaps even at launch.

Windows 7 64-bit wins hands-down when compared with XP 64-bit.

And yes, you can seamlessly use any 32-bit programs without hassle. Though if you still run any 16-bit programs you may run into trouble.

By now Chrome and Firefox probably will be able to put all your settings and bookmarks in the cloud.

Hello friends

I am running a 32bit XP Pro with SP3. As I use lot of graphics programs, I was wondering whether it would be prudent to upgrade to a 64bit version, and if yes, to XP 64bit or Win7 64bit. Please note I have been using this installation of XP for last 5 years or so. Regarding this, please clear my following doubts.

1. I have about 3GB of RAM (planning to add more as graphics editing programs are very much RAM intensive). So will a 64bit OS operate better than a 32bit? And shall the programs run faster?

. In case of upgrading to 64bit, will XP PRo 64bit a better choice or Windows 7 64bit?

3. Can I transfer my settings from my present system to the new one? Mainly I am worried about the Browser (Firefox and Chrome). I can not afford to loose the settings.

4. In case some programs do not have 64bit versions available (I use some free programs which do not offer 64bit) can I still use the 32bit version?

5. I have heard that Win gradually takes up space on the installation partition. Is that true? If yes, is there any solution to this?

6. If it is better to upgrade to 32bit XP to 64bit Win7 or XP, please let me know how exactly should I proceed. Sadly I can not afford to loose much time over setting up my system. I would like to upgrade via the least hassle free way (preferably without a clean install, unless that is absolutely necessary).

Thank you.

1. More than 3gig you need a 64bit os or the memory is not addressable. I would not expect the single running program to be faster, you may notice a difference with multiple open programs.
2. Windows 7x64
3. Yes, explore the sync software already mentioned.
4. Yes
5. Of course it does. Do you think that the monthly updates do not take space? Solution is to ensure that the OS disk has enough head room for future growth.
6. Clean install of windows 7x64, then install and transfer the settings from your "synced" browsers. Install applications on clean os.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Regarding Installation Option, the MS article regarding this explicitly mentioned that one needs to choose "Custom" install option in case of migrating from windows XP.
Please tell me how does "Custom" install differs from "Clean" install and which is better.

Thanks again.

"Clean" does mean a "Custom" installation. "Clean" is basically "Custom" with a hard drive format, which can be done during the "Custom" installation. You don't have to format your hard drive during a "Custom" installation, it simply just installs over the old installation (if there is one) and moves the old installation into a "Windows.old" folder.

"Clean" does mean a "Custom" installation. "Clean" is basically "Custom" with a hard drive format, which can be done during the "Custom" installation. You don't have to format your hard drive during a "Custom" installation, it simply just installs over the old installation (if there is one) and moves the old installation into a "Windows.old" folder.

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Could you please explain to me what exactly is the use of this "windows.old" folder? Can I delete it to recover space?

The windows.old folder will only be created in the instance that you install a new copy of windows onto your hard drive that 1. has an existing Windows installation and 2. you did not format the hard drive. If there is no existing Windows installation (you should be doing a format anyways), then that folder will not be created.

The folder is created as a backup of your user files. Files that are stored in, for example, My Documents. Yes, you can delete it if you installed over the old, but again, you should have backed up your necessary files and formatted the drive.

Thank you Tsumi for your replies.
Will a 30GB HD partition be enough to use Win7 64nit? Please note that I use separate partition to install my programs and to keep my data (My Documents etc).

Thank you Tsumi for your replies.
Will a 30GB HD partition be enough to use Win7 64nit? Please note that I use separate partition to install my programs and to keep my data (My Documents etc).

I would go higher, updated version of windows 7x64 is around 30 Gig now. Further updates and any other software will increase the size.

What are the specs of your hardware?
A computer running XP could be quite dated, and it might be a cheaper option to buy new than muck around with upgrading RAM and a full blown OS.

64bit OS allows you to utilize more than 3.5gb of RAM. 32bit caps you at 3.5 gb of RAM
Minor correction: 32-bit desktop windows is limited to 4GB of physical address space. The exact ammount of usable ram this leaves depends on what other hardware is competing for physical address space. I've heard of it being as high as 3.75 and as low as 2.5.

Many programs might not be compatible with 64-bit Windows XP, while there's a higher likelihood of being compatible with 64-bit Windows 7. You need to check with the specific programs you use to ensure compatibility.
More an issue with hardware than software in my experience but it does pay to check. Note though that a lot of stuff will work on 64-bit XP even though it doesn't advertise compatibility with it.

Programs compiled only for 32-bit systems will not install on a 64-bit OS. Many are compiled for both 32-bit and 64-bit, but if it's 32-bit specific, it cannot run on a 64-bit OS.
This is not true for "normal" programs. Normal 32-bit programs run just fine on a 64-bit OS.

What won't work on 64-bit windows is anything that relies on 16-bit code and anything that relies on a 32-bit only driver (whether that driver is used for true hardware driving or merely to mess with the OS).

I'm not sure about XP 32-bit to XP 64-bit, but XP to Windows 7 will definitely require a clean installation. There's no way around this.
You need a reinstall to move from 32-bit windows to 64-bit windows regardless of the versions involved.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply plugwash
For me it always shows 2.75GB of memory.

Please clear my one doubt:

If I install a 64bit OS, it would be able to use more than 3GB of RAM, should not that make application run considerably faster (specially those which are memory intensive like Ps CS6)? I am little confused on this, as the replies posted here earlier, indicates that there will be no speed improvements!

If you move to XP x64 (if you can find a copy to buy) the memory usage will be similar to XP 32 bit. If you move to Windows 7 x64, which I would recommend, you should have at least 4 GB (considering your work load) but preferably 8GB IMO.
2. In case of upgrading to 64bit, will XP PRo 64bit a better choice or Windows 7 64bit?
No, Windows 7 x64 is better supported, driver wise. Your computer may or may not have Windows 7 x64 drivers though. What model computer is it?
Yes, you can export your bookmarks and save them on a flash drive, then import them after you reinstall the browser.
Many programs do not have a native x64 version, but XPx64 and 7x64 both support running 32 bit applications within them, as x64 Windows is simply an extension of 32 bit.
This can be caused by two primary factors, niether which are exclusive to any specific edition of Windows. 1 is System Restore, which can be disabled or limited. 2) Temp files and downloaded Windows Updates, which both can be cleared with a disk cleanup.
The best way to upgrade would be a clean installation, which means you need to backup all of your data.

#1 Find out if your current system is x64 compatible. It should be, but just make sure.
#2 Find all of the disc for applications that you plan to reinstall, or at least find out if they can be downloaded.
#3 Get a copy of the x64 driver for your network card, because without it you won't be able to get back online if the driver is not included with Windows.
#4 Purchase or borrow an external flash drive or hard drive and back up all of your data and bookmarks.
#5 Unplug the backup drive.
#6 Boot to the new Windows disc, and where you install the OS, delete the existing hard drive partitions and proceed with the clean installation.
#7 When you are back in Windows, install all drivers, starting with the LAN driver so you can get online to download the remaining drivers.

Please clear my one doubt:

If I install a 64bit OS, it would be able to use more than 3GB of RAM, should not that make application run considerably faster (specially those which are memory intensive like Ps CS6)? I am little confused on this, as the replies posted here earlier, indicates that there will be no speed improvements!

What do you mean by faster?
What aspects of CS6 are "slow"?
What is the current memory usage footprint on your system? If its close to the limit then you may see some increases as the RAM alone will be able to cache all the data.

CS6 64bit just crashes more often than my 32bit version.

But you should make the jump from XP regardless.

Also what are computer specs?

I mean "faster" :)
Basically, after I edit one RAW image I need to close down to start editing another RAW image again, otherwise I am going get an error like "Insufficient RAM". Moreover, running plugins is a headache. The program is not that responsive as I would like it to be.

Regarding your last question, I have no idea how to check that.

With reference to your last comment, do you mean that I should also switchto 64bit Win 7 instead of the 32 bit version?

If you message is saying "Insufficient RAM" then yeah that would be a RAM issue.
Same with the program being unresponsive.

Some of this could be a HDD issue.
Like I said XP system could mean Pentium 4 with an IDE HDD.
Which could be a whole other issue.

Don't worry about the memory footprint issue you answered that with the "Insufficient RAM" comment

Last comment forget I said that if your running into an "Insufficient RAM" error you might run out of memory in a 32bit application which will only be able to address memory up to 3gb, regardless if your OS is 64bit. So go with the 64bit version of CS6.

Thanks for the reply.
Btw, I use Intel's Core2Duo© E4330 processor and all my main HDDs are SATA 3.0 Gbps HDDs.

Yeah toss some more RAM in and go win7 64bit and 64bit CS6.

See if you can get a deal on 8 64bit could save you some cash when ever it comes out.

Back