upgrading old computer - IBM 300PL

3 single sided 256meg sticks = 768megs total

I have 3 of these in the computer lab I run at work ..they make great thin clients

I only run 128megs with P3 500's in them ..I believe it only supports 100mhz front side bus ...so buy your chip accordingly ... not sure on max multi it supports tho..

Just google your heart out until you find out all the info you are looking for ... look up linux type sites as well , as these boot off of pxe with onboard nic so , like I said ... make great thin clients :)

nicks0r said:
I am trying to figure out what kind of ram and what is the max amount I can put in this old computer, currently I have 132MB, it's a IBM 300PL

While it's not at the top of my list I would like to upgrade the proccessor if possible and if its cheap enough, its a PIII clocking at 497mhz

I am just having trouble finding detailed specs and more importantly what kind of limitations I have on this computer (max ram/proccessor)

can anyone lead me in the right direction?

thanks

You're probably running an i440BX platform. Upgradability of the memory is relatively easy - go with 2 x 256 MB of quality low-density SDRAM in PC100 CL2 or PC133 flavor. It'll have to be top shelf memory. Crucial should work. LINK

As for the processor, you should be able to drop in a 1.4 GHz Tualatin-core Celeron processor, run from a PowerLeap or Upgradeware Slot T adapter. The heatsink may be an issue, however. You'll have to check out the orientation of your existing processor first. link 2 for the Slot T adapter. The 1.4 celerons should be available on eBay, or if you're not that adventurous, you could grab a 1.2 at Stratton Computer.

He could buy a slocket and get himself a 1.4GHz Socket 370 Pentium 3, which performs close to a 2GHz Pentium 4.

Back